Author Topic: Bias Lighting  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Lupo

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Bias Lighting
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2017, 09:11:56 AM »
A little off topic. If you use the TV's USB port to power the bias lighting and regularly use the other available port(s) say with a 2.5 removable USB HDD, could that cause problems? I'm thinking too much strain on the power supply perhaps? It would probably differ form TV to TV. The last thing you want to do is muck-up the TV's USB ports.

Apologies OP if this is too far off track.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 09:17:32 AM by Lupo »

Online KenMasters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:25 AM »
A little off topic. If you use the TV's USB port to power the bias lighting and regularly use the other available port(s) say with a 2.5 removable USB HDD, could that cause problems? I'm thinking too much strain on the power supply perhaps? It would probably differ form TV to TV. The last thing you want to do is muck-up the TV's USB ports.

Apologies OP if this is too far off track.

It can do. I had a USB powered HDD attached to my TV to use as a PVR, I could still connect other flash drives and such no problem. There was an instance though where I tried to connect something and got a warning to say it exceeded the power limit. I doubt an LED strip would be an issue though, and I'm sure the TV will throw up a warning like mine did if it is.

My own bias light makes use of a CCFL so requires a proper power socket. The socket is remote controlled so it's only on when I need it - so that's also an option. Very convenient to have things powered by USB though, the twin 140mm fans in my cabinet are powered by my AVR's rear USB port.

Offline matthieup

• AVForums Member
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »
Ok,

So i installed it.

It is definitely using a cool white which is good.
It is powered by the TV and switches on and off with it, but to my surprise, good surprise, there is also an inline switch so it can also be turned off...

At first i thought it was very bright but i think it is because i was looking at it too much. After a time it just blends in when looking at the screen and one forgets about it. I still have to sort one or two things out, like the shadows of cable i see at the bottom for example and the xbox kinect that I will relocate. I will also install the other one to my PC monitors and I think these will make more of a difference

Online KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
Ok,

So i installed it.

It is definitely using a cool white which is good.
It is powered by the TV and switches on and off with it, but to my surprise, good surprise, there is also an inline switch so it can also be turned off...

At first i thought it was very bright but i think it is because i was looking at it too much. After a time it just blends in when looking at the screen and one forgets about it. I still have to sort one or two things out, like the shadows of cable i see at the bottom for example and the xbox kinect that I will relocate. I will also install the other one to my PC monitors and I think these will make more of a difference

It does actually look like it might be too bright, but that could just be due to the low APL of the scene. Is there a way to dim the backlight, can you cut away LEDs from the strip? The freely downloadable AVS HD 709 does have a test pattern you can use to gauge the correct brightness for the display you're using.

Also, what picture preset are you using? I know the scene and characters are blue, but that looks  too blue - the light may in the D65 ballpark but I don't think the TV is.

Offline BiZKiT

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2017, 12:09:52 PM »
seen these at the gadget shop

Online KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 01:04:43 PM »
Photo's colour temperature vs actual temp comparison:

Offline matthieup

• AVForums Member
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 02:26:38 PM »
i did calibrate a long time ago. i might actually maybe need to redo it with the lights on. it is indeed possible to cut out some of the led

Online KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
i did calibrate a long time ago. i might actually maybe need to redo it with the lights on. it is indeed possible to cut out some of the led

Ah, that's good, download AVS HD and use the backlight test pattern to get the right brightness for the bias lighting. The disc will also help you to figure out the correct settings for your display (there's a video tutorial on the disc as well as a PDF pattern guide):

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/948496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

http://w6rz.net/avshd709/Patterns-Manual.pdf

Offline Lupo

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:37 AM »
^^^ ... some homework then! Properly calibrating the TV is something I've been putting off for years. First to source the correct light source.

Thanks for the info.

I wonder what the ACDC salesperson will say when I ask for a 6500K/D65 led bias lighting source?

Online KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2017, 03:16:03 PM »
I wonder what the ACDC salesperson will say when I ask for a 6500K/D65 led bias lighting source?

Just to add to the confusion, 6500K is not the same as D65. You can have a 6500 Kelvin light source but chances are it doesn't correspond to the standard illuminant D65. As stated earlier though, it's really not a all that much of an issue, especially since it's unlikely you TV does by default either. Also, LEDs aren't as accurate a light source as CCFL lamps, but they are a hell of a lot more convenient.

Offline matthieup

• AVForums Member
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »
^^^ ... some homework then! Properly calibrating the TV is something I've been putting off for years. First to source the correct light source.

Thanks for the info.

i looked around but couldn't find anything decent locally

Online Jademichael06

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
Is there a specific brand to look at? I was considering Phillip Hue led strips.. but crazy pricing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its only as good as it sounds

Online KenMasters

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Is there a specific brand to look at? I was considering Phillip Hue led strips.. but crazy pricing

It shouldn't be too hard to put something together, or just order one of the kits from Amazon. Depends on how precise you want to be.

For myself I put together an 18W Philips TL-D 90 Graphica with a dimmer and remote switch.

Online Jademichael06

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »
Thanks Ken, will check that out.

Takealot has a number of Led lighting options now too. good pricing.

https://www.takealot.com/all?qsearch=led+strip&_sb=1&_dt=all&_r=1
Its only as good as it sounds

Offline matthieup

• AVForums Member
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
the difficult part is to find the right color temp