Author Topic: 1st foray into 'hd' headphones, advice needed  (Read 312 times)

Offline LordBacon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
  • Beginner / noob / newbie
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
1st foray into 'hd' headphones, advice needed
« on: March 10, 2017, 07:16:23 PM »
My  :groovy: journey has been belated, but non the less i am endeavouring to upgrade my audible pleasure.

I am looking at two options for headphones - Monoprice M560 or the Fostex T50RP Mk3 ... i will be using either option as my primary drivers for home and at office (worried about sound leakage, hence the closed/semi-closed cans), because of portability i have already ordered the micca origen + as my amp dac combo.

Obviously not end game, due to budget limitations....

Now the question is --- headphones...m560 or Mark 3? (either option is about $200 on amazon)
I listen to a wide variety of music genres- from blues, classical, soundtracks, 70's Rock, Folk, electronic..... so ja, i am pretty much everywhere.

Primary source of audio is through streaming services like google.play and then at home flac files after earmarking google.play hits. To make things easier --- I really love the cello , whatever headsets are recommended they need to give chills when listening to some cello.

I await the onslaught of critical advice.... 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 07:21:25 PM by LordBacon »

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: 1st foray into 'hd' headphones, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 07:39:18 PM »
i do not have first hand experience with either but my money would be on the planar's
but have a look at the delivery date, end of 2017

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-t50rp-mk3-professional-studio-headphones-semi-open/reviews/15838

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 08:06:36 PM »
Thanks for that link @itscraig ! the Fostex was my initial bet, but then the M560 's showed up... The reviews have been spotty on the m560's. I have the Shure ear pads in my shopping basket to go with the Fostex and did many a month of research already. thanks for your feedback, now to see what the rest of the forum :popcorn:

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 11:58:54 PM »
Never tried either, so can't give feedback on my experience with them... However, the Fostex T50RP Mk3 seems to be a better of the two.. especially when paired with those amazing Shure SRH1540 Alcantara Ear Pads...
Also, my feeling is that that Micca OriGen+ will be underpowered (Output: Nominal@70mA / Max@100mA)

If I were to choose, I'd got for something like a 1W output GeekOut1000 DAC/Head.Amp --- from experience, these thing are AMAZING!  I still have my Geekout1000 even though I upgraded to the V2, if you want to test them out....
And for headies:
-  The Beyerdynamic DT 770 250ohm: more a bass-bump (saw Daft Punk & some electronica & dance  in your picture) whilst being closed back for better insulation. Poor amplification usually leads to poor ratings of headies, including these ones
 - The Beyerdynamic DT 880 250ohm: although semi-opened like the Fostex T50RP Mk3 an will bleed music out, but seem to be an overall better headphone than the Fostex T50RP Mk3
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:52:35 AM »
On the Beyerdynamic tangent ... I recall CPlan has some DT990 250 ohm cans for mid R2k. I would take that over the two mentioned by the OP any day.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Cuco

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 10:26:38 AM »
One more vote for the DT990.

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
How is sound leakage on the Beyers?

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
The DT990 is an open back, it does leak. DT770 is a closed back, also excellent.

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 09:05:34 PM »
visited Cplan and ended up taking the last M40X --- the removable headphone cable did it for me, and they seem to be more portable - good options for throwing into the knapsack between home and work. extra bonus --- they where cheaper at Cplan than importing via amazon!  :Whoohoo: Later in the year i will have saved enough to get something more serious and dedicated for home use. Baby steps.

Still waiting on a gumtree feedback for a NAD 302 so i can have a decent amp for the LP....... took me long enough to get here, will take longer to get where i want to! lol

Thanks for the input mense!

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 09:43:41 PM »
Congrats!  I have a pair of those M40X's as well and they are damn nice cans indeed! 
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline itscraig

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
enjoy them, i had a pair of those from C-Plan too, just never quite got used to the folding. sound wise they are very good for the price.
they can also be powerd by just about anything.

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 08:19:53 AM »
I still want to get the Fostex for their planar drivers, but for now i think the A/T would suit me well - eventually they will remain in the office - there is so much to see and hear! Me thinks this is going to be a very expensive, yet rewarding experience :groovy:

Offline LordBacon

• AVForums Member
    • Wie's Jou Pappa
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »
Headphone burn in track ---> https://www.jlabaudio.com/pages/audio-burn-in-download
or is there another one i should get?

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »
or is there another one i should get?

Any music will do nicely :)

Offline Cuco

• AVForums Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 02:55:05 PM »
If you burn in M40's, you're definitely on your way.