Consumers gettin a raw deal with products that are not market ready,Story Untold

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim101

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Let me give a brief background..I think of myself as a tech freak...I am into Movies and having that real cinema experience  :popcorn: is what has made it so enjoyable to invest in sound and video equipment...As a teenager my father went out one day and just splashed out a whole lot of cash and came back home with an Onkyo Av-Reciever with some B&W 5.1  speakers....At that time Dolby-Surround was just the rage...it made the whole cinematic experience something else...From then on I could just never listen to a movie in stereo or watch a bad quality off the street DVD...

I began to collect DVD's and moved on to Blu-rays...I would save up for a better amp,speakers and Sub woofer...fast forward to today..My father still has that old Onkyo Amp and the B&W speakers ...granted he uses the them now for playing music in another room and has moved on to a Yamaha amp with the latest sound formats...

I on the other hand have not been so fortunate...I have gone through so many AV-receivers  :sd: :sd: that it has altered my love for home cinema ...The last time I bought an Av receiver, I though go big or go home...So I spent a little above what I was initially looking at...but hey it had the bells n Whistles...Audyssey MultEQ XT32... Marvell Qdeo? Technology, ISF Video Calibration..THX? Select2 Plus? Certified. ....3 Powered Zones...

I could go on and on about the specs...Then the Av-Receiver just started malfunctioning bit by bit. At first I thought that it could not be the same HDMI issues that I had experienced with my other older receivers. I came back one day and it would just not display the picture. At that point I decided to just pack it in the box and put it in the garage and pack up the speakers. That was about 10 months ago. I stopped watching movies at home and just opted to go to the cinemas, I stopped collecting Blu-rays...With my last incentive bonus I opted to rather splash out on the video equipment an get myself a top spec 4k HDR  TV with an Xbox One S.

The stereo thing bothered me so I took one of the old amps I had in the garage that had an HDMI issue but still worked, I just used the optical cord to at least get Dolby-Digital when watching television and playing games. I was not even tempted to buy any 4k Bluray-DVD's cos I would be only getting the HD visual experience  :nfi:.

I then decided that to tackle the issue with the non-functioning Av-Receiver. After a whole lot of googling I finally found out that the AV-Receiver had a known issue and the was a buyer replacement-program in the USA to a batch of this receivers. Some of the searching brought me to the Avforums website.

Are we as consumers getting a raw deal? What protection do we have? I understand that at times a product may malfunction and this may not be due to a producers negligence or intention to sell a inferior product.

I bought a Gas Heater from Delonghi from Take-A lot and I got a call from them where they asked to replace the product. I did not even have to google or anything like that.

I bought a vehicle which had an issue with one of the Safety Belts . The manufacturer contacted me and asked to rectify the issue.

I recently bought a gaming machine 'Nintendo Switch' which arrived this weekend. Whilst playing with my son the machine would constantly disconnect. This became frustrating and after google I actually found out that this particular problem was reported before the machine launch on various user platforms. The Manufacturer only sent official communication via their website under the support link this Sunday, Which still does not resolve the issue. I had to google to find that out.

For me some of it seems intentional, Why as a manufacturer would you knowingly release a product that is not sound? Why are consumers bearing the burden in some cases of finding out what is wrong with their purchased products?

The scary thing about this is that some of these are not even small scale  , but companies that have built their reputation over several years. Is the need for profit going to kill off some of these brands? Or are we as consumers just biting the bullet  :flame: every time and carrying on :walled:.