Author Topic: Anybody willing to setup my Linux system with Roon?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Jes

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
Anybody willing to setup my Linux system with Roon?
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:28:04 AM »
So I've been clueless with Linux but somehow a couple of years ago managed to get a system running arch and Lms. This with lots of help from Scrarfussi. Don't think I did everything correctly at the time but worked ok till now. System has now completely crashed. Use it for local files and tidal mostly.

Pc is one of these https://www.asus.com/Mini-PCs/VivoPC_VM40B/

Have a 2TB hard drive installed in it for local files. Boots from SD card.

Figured with this crash maybe best time to switch to Roon but would love it if I could drop it off with somebody to reinstall and load Roon? And on that - with the various concerts, etc now on tidal - is there a way to play these via Roon? -can does have hdmi out and audio via USB to my dac?

Guys who can help - name your price  :whistler:
Who wants to be normal, when its much more fun to be a crazy person everybody remembers……..

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
Re: Anybody willing to setup my Linux system with Roon?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 09:29:45 AM »
Bring it here, I'll get it done for you.  If it's crashed, you figured out which hardware component has called it a day?  A bottle of Woodford Reserve would not be turned away :D
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »
Also, does it meet Roon's recommended hardware spec?  https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_What_are_the_minimum_requirements%3F
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline Jes

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
It doesn't.

Processor is Intel Celeron® 1007U Dual-Core CPU. Currently has 2gb ram but that can be upgraded. Thought this would be less of a problem with Linux?

In terms of crash it's either software or one of the drives. Not sure. Gives an error on boot with errors when scanning the drives.
Who wants to be normal, when its much more fun to be a crazy person everybody remembers……..

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »
Sounds like a drive error.  Linux never quits, especially if left alone.

That CPU is unlikely to give you a good Roon experience.  It runs a pretty big database which should ideally sit on SSD and there's a lot of data points to process in the UI, plus volume levelling, and other DSP (e.g. downsampling stuff your DAC can't natively play, volume leveling, upsampling, convolution and parametric EQ if you choose to) so I'd really recommend a much higher spec NUC.  They're a few weeks away from releasing their own distribution called Roon Optimized Core Kit (ROCK) which would be a turnkey Roon solution.  I'd move in that direction if you want to keep a NUC type footprint.

Offline Jes

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »
Couple of things to think about. Possibly I could get it to you to test out anyway and see if it's with reviving or possibly using as a player with roon or simply as it was before?

Will have to look into some other PC options for roon then.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
If you were only using it as a LMS server then the best thing to do is to install Daphile on it (it's Arch Linux, with LMS).  I wouldn't use it as a Roon endpoint, rather sell it and buy something like an ODROID-C2 to use as an endpoint.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 10:22:20 AM »
Will be worth while picking up an older generation Core i5 with 8GB Ram to run Roon and take advantage of its many features.
Core i3 would also be sufficient and some cheap PC/Media PC's have come up for sale here from time to time.

If you were only using it as a LMS server then the best thing to do is to install Daphile on it (it's Arch Linux, with LMS).  I wouldn't use it as a Roon endpoint, rather sell it and buy something like an ODROID-C2 to use as an endpoint.

+1 Daphile is easy enough to install and set LMS up via web interface  :thumbs:
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline Jes

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
Thanks. Let me see if I can possibly get it to you next weekend to have a look? Maybe return it to LMS and then look for a new pc for roon. Any recommendations?

Offline Jes

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 10:35:33 AM »
My setup is quite simple. I only use the LMS in my lounge so one point as such. For my other rooms I just stream from my phone to a Bluetooth speaker. I've got a limited collection of local files and use alot of tidal.

So ideally would like something simple to use. Roon may well be overkill for me but seems to have some great features.

The one thing I would love to take advantage of is the video features from tidal if possible.

Guys thanks for the help - might appreciated.

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
Thanks. Let me see if I can possibly get it to you next weekend to have a look? Maybe return it to LMS and then look for a new pc for roon. Any recommendations?
No problem.  Re recommendations I'd go with one of the NUC's they recommend for ROCK - see the kb article I referenced.  If you're not going to do a lot of DSP there's little need for the fastest one.  Personally I'm running Roon on an i5-4690S CPU @ 3.20GHz installed on mini-itx motherboard.  Certainly cheaper than using a NUC, but ROCK is aimed at NUC specifically so it may not support other hardware.  If you want to go bespoke it's simple enough to install Arch for you, add local drives for tunes and install Roon.

Offline El Sid

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
Maybe try Linn-ux?
u

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »
^^^ yeh, the tidal be against you.

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
Maybe try Linn-ux?
u

Very expensive and there is a much cheaper alternative.

Raspberry PI or Odroid C2 with DietPi and Roon Bridge(arm 8). Earlier builds had a few pops and clicks.
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 08:59:25 AM »
So this roon cannot run on Jes' machine ?

What ever happened to the good ol days of open source Linux where one could "make" and deploy your own custom builds and have it as light as possible ? It seems to have also turned into this power hungry inneficient platform now 🤔.... Suspect the more high level languages are becoming the order of the day or scripting php's and the like trying to be a real development tool.

I wonder what is the underlying core development tech used in roon ? & is it proprietary DB they use ?

Non audiophile music lover...