Need assistance with HT setup

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minerva10210

Reaction score
Hey guys

So, I am trying to assist my old-man with getting his kit up and running again. Some of his AV stuff was hit by lightning, so we are trying to put bits and pieces together for him again.

For some clarification, the main components of his setup was as follows:
Yamaha DSP-A592 5ch amp
Yamaha DDP2 AC3 decoder

These were connected to the rest of the components like turntable, tape deck, tuner, dvd player, and to his CRT TV.

The main feature here was obviously the DVD player, which connected to the DDP2 via Toslink, which would then decode the audio into discreet 6ch output, which would then connect to the A592 and the speakers, and thus have a fairly good surround sound experience.

So, back to the current situation. The TV was replaced with a random rebranded JVC 4k curved smart tv. It has a few HDMI ports, and runs some Android OS on it. The Yamaha 592 is in for repairs, so currently running an old NAD stereo amp connected in a pre-amp setup, tied to an ancient DSP-E390. This setup is not optimal, but I digress.

Anyway, the current DVD player is also suspect, so with the new 4k tv, I suggested that my old man check for a BD player rather. With that interest peaked, I am now tasked to start shopping around for this.

Now with most of the DB players on the cheaper end of the scale only has an HDMI output, no toslink or coaxial outputs to output to an external amp/processor. Second issue is that, even if the BD player has the outputs mentioned, will it be worth it trying to run it through the DDP2 processor, being that it is actually quite ancient?

Is this going to be worth all the effort, or should we rather look at a decent, newer spec HDMI capable amp? Cost is a bit of an issue however, so any advise would be appreciated.

PS. sorry, feels like I was rambling a bit...

Latest posts