Author Topic: Records/recordings that sound better on side.2  (Read 443 times)

Offline Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
Records/recordings that sound better on side.2
« on: February 14, 2017, 05:52:30 PM »
...maybe from warm up of the recording equipment or the engineer tweeking as they went along?
The Miles Davis - E.S.P. example is documented (letter with the IMPEX reissue pressing) tonight I'm hearing the same on the 1977 reissue of My Funny Valentine - Miles Davis in Concert (released 1965). Have you any examples to add to the list?
The Vinyl Frontier!

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: Records/recordings that sound better on side.2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
How many whiskeys between side 1 and 2?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:09:18 PM by Rotten Johnny »
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slutē
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
Not really a recording released as such, but most Grateful Dead live tapes are better by the second hour or second set.  Probably a combination of the band getting more baked and the desk getting tweaked.  Check out any version of 'Not Fade Away' from the early 70s, the band are cooking on gas (and possibly huffing it too)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Aqualung

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • It's all about the music, really...
    • Bokdrolletjies
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
I often play only one LP of an evening, and I often play than 1 LP 2 or 3 times in a row.
And often Side 2 sounds better than Side 1, but then the 2nd time I play Side 1 it sounds better than Side 2...
Maybe it is my ears, my attitude, my relaxation level, the red wine or my equipment "settling down" - but it happens!  :groovy:
I love music - analog and digital. Even listening to the Blues makes me happy. During the day I coach and counsel, after hours I indulge in my second passion - listening to vinyl and restoring turntables. Some I keep, some I sell...

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slutē
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
I think with most live recordings things improve for two main reasons - the band get into their groove more and the emgineer has tweaked the sound to optimise front and back lines.  The equipment (other than taping gear) has been on for hours (soundcheck, break, support band, break, main band can be over 12 hours) so is fully warmed up.  Some guitar amps may also warm up a bit but they have usually been on and off for a few hours and are usually plugged up 30mins at least before the main act.

Live albums are often culled from a variety of gigs so difficult to judge in many cases but bootlegs can give you the same effect as can one off concert recordings.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 06:21:56 PM by JonnyP »
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+56)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:19:51 PM »
Most vinyl listeners I know can't even listen to track one and two never mind side one and two. ... :coffee:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Online JonnyP

• Gear Slutē
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 08:25:36 PM »
They must be listening to 7" singles then

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+56)
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
Nope. ..They have average height partners and even wives who hug their knees..... :point:
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.