Author Topic: Designing Crossovers  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
Designing Crossovers
« on: June 14, 2016, 06:47:17 PM »
Just thought I would share this brilliant tutorial I found. All about designing a basic crossover. In the tutorial you will learn how to choose the crossover frequency, how to flatten the curve and also how to select the components etc etc etc. At the same time it will help you understand the do's and donts. It's seems easy enough to understand, even for a dumbo like myself. All credits go to the author AllenB of DiyAudio. PDF of this document is available on page 43 and the post is by djn, its the fifth post from the top.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/189847-introduction-designing-crossovers-without-measurement-43.html

Offline idm

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Designing Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »
An easy simplistic approach with easy to understand short explanations. A must read even for just a good understanding of a speakers crossover. I now have some new idea's for experimentation. Thanks for the share.

Offline Mongoose

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 12:30:57 AM »
You are welcome  :2thumbs:

Offline Dreamerm6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 03:19:18 PM »
Awesome post!

Offline The Bongs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 02:26:37 PM »
I really needed this. Thanks man :clap:

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 03:33:01 AM »
I agree that the matter is treated well there.

A finer point: For optimising one is back to the ever present tolerances of components. Drivers are no exception, and T&S parameters might differ by up to +/- 10%. This necessarily calls for proper measuring equipment if the best response is to be obtained.

There might also be the infernal sharp drop in impedance somewhere as with some "difficult-to-drive" loudspeakers. It is possible to largely cancel that with further proper inductor, capacitor and resistor components. This will definitely require sofisticated  test apparatus. But it is understood that AllenB was trying to first show a satisfactory design method for most cases.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Online Shonver

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:01:12 AM »
If you consider the amount of money and time typically invested for fancy components and high quality cabinetry, it makes sense to also invest in a calibrated measurement microphone. It is a must if you want to do it right (and want to be consistent with how much is invested in the other aspects of a loudspeaker build). As for measuring components: Speaker Workshop does an excellent job of it, plus it allows you to do Thiele/Small measurements, enclosure design, acoustic measurements and crossover design, with auto optimisation for frequency response and impedance. Plus it is free. The only barrier is that it only works with Windows versions up to XP (maybe even Vista)*. But even that is a minor issue if you still have an old PC lying in the garage; a dime a dozen off Gumtree if you don't. And SW has an excellent design example in its help section.

*I think I may have had limited succes with Win7 (or perhaps it was Vista) at some stage, but the Help section wouldn't run.

DON'T PANIC
Capie