Author Topic: Power Amp Setup ...  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Fabian

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Member
Power Amp Setup ...
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:12:14 AM »
Hi All,

I am relatively new to the audio game and I have a question.
Some may interpret it as a silly question but I really need an expert opinion.

I have an AV Receiver and I recently acquired a power amp.
I then endeavoured to set my "new" system up - first time connecting a power amp might I add.
Pre-outs on AV Receiver for front left and right channels connected to power amp left and right input. Front L and R speakers connected to the power amp.

So I connected the rear speakers directly to the AV Receiver (rear L and R speaker outputs) for my home theatre setup.
I figured that I can use the AV Receiver's stereo mode for music and all channels for movies.

Music sounded superb but when I watched movies the rear channels sounded dull whilst the fronts sounded superb.

I then disconnected rear speakers from Rear L and R on AV Receiver and connected them to Front L and R.
Sound is superb for all channel music and movies ... but is this the right thing to do considering that those channels are supposed to be dedicated to the power amp ???

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Zealot

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Power Amp Setup ...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 01:52:02 PM »
Hi Fabian

What you were hearing is the same soundtrack through the 4 speakers - In not connecting the surrounds to the surround outputs on your receiver, you will not hear the effects intended for those channels.

The surround speakers are for effects only - Even your left & right front speakers should be tamed vs the centre speaker doing most duties in surround mode (when watching movies).

Listening to music is another story in surround mode.

To answer your question re being able to make use of the receiver's front L&R channels, by all means you can - This will not put any strain on your receiver.
In the end it all comes down to what sounds good to you!

Happy audio  :groovy:

Offline BJ

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:11:36 PM »
Agree....no problem and no strain on the AVR by connecting the back speakers on the Front L & R of the unit.

Only thing to remember is that if you ever want to play back Movie or Music encoded in 5.1, it will have no effect to the back as you are now listening to information from the back that was suppose to come from the front.

eg listening to a live music concert the encoding normally have the ambient sound coming through the surrounds and the musical instruments from the front, as you are viewing this on your TV.

In the format you have it connected, you will only hear the same information for the front, now also coming from the back. So in fact there is no need to play the BD/DVD back in 5.1, you should select PCM stereo on the menu of the disc before starting the video.

Same will apply for movies, so this could be a bit awkward listening too...
Shunyata - See No Evil; Hear No Evil

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »
Hi Fabian

Rear effect speakers are indeed for ambience, just wondering though, have you set speaker levels to be equal in loudness across all 5 channels (with rear spkrs connected to rear outputs)?
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline idm

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 05:21:22 PM »
Setting the correct distance also makes a huge difference, I have found by adjusting the fr, c, sur by measuring tape and then the sub woofer while listening to music in all channel stereo works the best. ;)

Offline FranZAR

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:03:31 PM »
If you only amplify the front channel with a power amp considerably stronger than your AVR, you have to expect that your centre and surrounds will "disappear" in surround mode. So, to match speaker levels you will have to lower the front channel levels, which negates the benefit of the power amp. If you don't amplify all five channels, the power amp will only really benefit you in stereo mode.
Rather be thought a fool than open your mouth and prove it.

Offline idm

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
If you only amplify the front channel with a power amp considerably stronger than your AVR, you have to expect that your centre and surrounds will "disappear" in surround mode. So, to match speaker levels you will have to lower the front channel levels, which negates the benefit of the power amp. If you don't amplify all five channels, the power amp will only really benefit you in stereo mode.

100% agreed, if you can, bi amp front speakers and use power amp for surrounds ;D

Offline Fabian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses and advice.

Much appreciated  :thumbs:

Offline Fabian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 10:18:34 AM »
Hi Fabian

Rear effect speakers are indeed for ambience, just wondering though, have you set speaker levels to be equal in loudness across all 5 channels (with rear spkrs connected to rear outputs)?

Hi Hi-Phibian (Hi Hi Fabian  :ROFLMAO:)

I actually rectified the speaker levels by setting all to be equal so still have the fronts on the power amp and the rears on normal rear on avr.

Methinks I require a second power amp ... if I can get wife approval  :sd:

Offline Fabian

• AVForums Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »
Hi-Phibian

Oh forgot to mention that it sounds much better after I changed speaker levels ...  :thumbs: