Author Topic: Firmware Update: Emotiva UMC-1  (Read 15922 times)

Offline Juggy

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
Firmware Update: Emotiva UMC-1
« on: November 20, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »
Received my pretty UMC-1 today and decided to do a firmware update, what a terrible decision

Windows 7 64Bit, software and drivers installed

Update software erases flash and then fails at 7.1% :(

Going to try the wifes 32bit Windows 7 machine just now but in case that doesn't work does anyone have ideas?

I have followed a few online how-tos with zero success.

Sad Panda
| Lounge System | Samsung UA55F8000 | Onkyo TX-RZ1100 | Tannoy XT 8F | Tannoy XT C | Intel NUC |
| Braai System | Samsung UA40J5300 | Sansui AU-222 | Intel NUC | Paradigm Mini Monitor V2 |

Offline Raffs

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • The Final Frontier
Re: Firmware Update: Emotiva UMC-1
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:27 PM »
I used win 7 32bit ....worked for me ....good luck
Trust your senses !!

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
Win7 32bit at 45% update, happy days so far.

| Lounge System | Samsung UA55F8000 | Onkyo TX-RZ1100 | Tannoy XT 8F | Tannoy XT C | Intel NUC |
| Braai System | Samsung UA40J5300 | Sansui AU-222 | Intel NUC | Paradigm Mini Monitor V2 |

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
I think home software upgrades are a risky business
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and CCM382|Harman Kardon BDT30|Samsung PS60E550|Optoma HD25E projector|Grandview motorised screen| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+59)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Never had any issues upgrading Marantz firmware on processors or Blu Ray players
My integra got stuck but downloaded soft ware onto USB and did the upgrade no problem

Hope you get sorted Juggy
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »
I think home software upgrades are a risky business

its good fun

only once ever had a problem . with mede8er but fixed it
not sure how you update the umc 1 just read the guide
looks simple enough
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 09:08:28 PM »
Thanks guys, got latest software but didn't find the DSP flash and got a DSP mismatch error and no audio

Rolling back to an older version so we'll see what happens

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »
I followed this and used the 7.04.00 firmware however there was no DSP firmware included so I have rolled back to  7.01.14 and I have no audio but I do have video and no errors.

http://emonatics.com/UMC-1FW.shtml

I will contact Emotiva tomorrow and demand the latest firmware, lets hope they oblige

This is a lovely piece of kit, I wouldn't want to get angry with it :) I cannot believe how mad the remote is...

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 09:52:19 PM »
Any chance anyone has this file?

UMC-1_V7_04_19.rar

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 06:25:37 AM »
Ok, emailed Emotiva support and I am proper impressed with their service. They send me the full instructions with links to the code in about 2 hours of emailing them.

Busy installing, will know in about 30 minutes

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »
All fixed, working 100%V on latest firmware.

Do we need to store the instructions for others?

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »
Couldn't do any harm.  Glad you got it sorted.
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2014, 08:37:57 AM »
Couldn't do any harm.  Glad you got it sorted.

It was almost a bruin streep moment I must admit.

Please note, Win7 32Bit yielded the best results.

First, you will need to verify the word length of your PC computer (32-bit or 64-bit). Mac computers cannot be used for this update. If you already know the word length of your computer you can skip to the next section.

1. Open the Start menu
2. Select and open Control Panel
3. Select and open System and Security
4. Select and open System
5. This will list the specifications of your computer. Under system type, it will state whether it is a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

Next, install WinRAR on your PC computer; be sure that you download the correct version for your operating systems. This is important because if you do not download the proper version the AVR installer tool will not operate correctly and it will not update the UMC-1 properly.

If you are running a 64-bit operating system the correct link for the WinRAR download is here: http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-64-bit/3000-2250_4-10965579.html?tag=mncol;1

If you are running a 32-bit operating system the correct link for the WinRAR download is here: http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.html?tag=mncol;1

You will need to download the AVR installer tool which you can download at this direct address: http://emotiva.com/resources/updates/Emotiva_AVR_upgrade_Install_V10604.rar

You will then use WinRAR to extract the files and install the AVR installer on your computer. With the AVR installer properly installed on your computer you will be able to open the most recent firmware file, here is the direct link: http://emotiva.com/resources/updates/UMC-1_V7_04_19.rar

To connect your computer with the UMC-1 you will need a USB Type A to USB Type B cable.

With the UMC-1 connected to your computer start the AVR program and follow the alternative load method below. Another helpful step is to run as an administrator and start the computer in Safe Mode and Networking. This allows Windows to load the very essential items with the networking attributes including USB support. This mode also prevents any other software non essential so as to avoid any unwanted possible conflicts that could interfere with the USB handshake with the UMC-1.

1. Connect the UMC-1 to the computer
2. Launch the installer program
3. Open and install the DSP code
4. Press quit on the installer after the DSP code reaches 100% the first time
5. Close the install program
6. Switch off the UMC-1 via the master toggle switch on the back of the unit
7. Switch on the UMC-1 after a brief wait
8. Press the standby button on the front of the UMC-1
9. The UMC-1 will install and verify the code
10. When it is done, switch off the UMC-1 with the master toggle switch on the back of the unit
11. Switch on the UMC-1 after a brief wait
12. Leave the UMC-1 in standby
13. Load the main code (V7_04_19.rar) into the installer program
14. When the main code is in close the installer program
15. Switch off the master toggle switch
16. Remove the USB cable
17. Turn on the UMC-1

The code should be installed and your UMC-1 is ready for use. Once the UMC-1 is turned back on you will want to perform a factory load default. To perform a factory load default follow these instructions:

1. With the UMC-1 turned on press the Menu button
2. Scroll down until Setup is highlighted and press Enter
3. Scroll down to Load default and press Enter
4. When the Menu displays “Load Factory Default?” press Enter again
5. Allow the UMC-1 to go through the Load Default and it will power back on by itself
6. Your UMC-1 is now ready to use!

This will clear the memory buffer of any residual information or garbage that could cause issues in the digital signal processing even after the firmware has been properly installed.

Offline mdjmdj

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 06:49:41 PM »
 :thumbs: thanks Juggy and thanks to Andre for pointing me to this post. Unfortunately have been trying the whole weekend and keep getting a no response from my umc-1. Anyone know of someone in gauteng that have attempted this with success? Thanks in advance

Offline Juggy

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 08:57:58 AM »
:thumbs: thanks Juggy and thanks to Andre for pointing me to this post. Unfortunately have been trying the whole weekend and keep getting a no response from my umc-1. Anyone know of someone in gauteng that have attempted this with success? Thanks in advance

It's a pleasure

It really is easy, follow this to a T and you'll be OK. Also, it was suggested that you boot your windows 7 machine in Safe Mode to load minimal drivers so as to not interfere with the process.

If you do get stuck Emotivas support really is top notch sales@emotiva.com

PS, if you don't come right you're welcome to courier it to me to have a go, I feel I'm a bit of an expert after my experiences ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:00:32 AM by Juggy »