Author Topic: My Vintage Collection: Time for some Housekeeping - or not?  (Read 45726 times)

Online Family_Dog

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • STEEL & GLASS - Everlasting Beauty!
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
My Vintage Collection: Time for some Housekeeping - or not?
« on: October 03, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
EDIT: Thanks to Photobucket dumping their free service that I have used these past 15 years or so, I have to redo all pics. I can't recall exactly which images I originally used but will try and make the threads understandable with whatever I update as time goes on.

UPDATE: PHOTOBUCKET -FIX ADD-ON AVAILABLE!
REFER THIS TOPIC:

https://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,67199.0/topicseen.html

---

I felt somewhat depressed this afternoon looking at my vintage audio bits-'n-bobs lying all over the house and decided its perhaps time to make some changes.  So I started to browse through this collection of vintage audio products and perhaps decide whether it's time to get rid of some stuff. I figured over the next few weeks I'll connect various bits & pieces up and try make a heart-rendering decision about what stays, what goes.

So the first items appear as thus:

The Leak Stereo 30 & Troughline FM Tuner are a perfect match and the sound quality is just a little better than average - 10/10.

The Wharfedale 12" Super 12 RS/DD Speakers are mounted in a wooden cabinet as described in one of G.A. Briggs Loudspeaker books. All photos are of my own original units but I have not yet taken a pic of the enclosures, might do that sometime but it is very similar to the Goodmans 212 described elsewhere.

Verdict:
This combo is a keeper and will not be added to the C-A-D pile.  :thumbs:

-F_D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:32:32 AM by Family_Dog »

-Eric

That Guy in South Africa...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintage_tube/

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+7)
Re: My Vintage Collection: Time for some Housekeeping - or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
You should have called this thread
"Eat your heart out, look what I have!!"

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 08:58:31 PM »
I felt somewhat depressed this afternoon looking at my vintage audio bits-'n-bobs lying all over the house and decided its perhaps time to make some changes.  So I started to browse through this collection of vintage audio products and perhaps decide whether it's time to get rid of some stuff. I figured over the next few weeks I'll connect various bits & pieces up and try make a heart-rendering decision about what stays, what goes.

So the first items appear as thus:

The Leak Stereo 30 & Troughline FM Tuner are a perfect match and the sound quality is just a little better than average - 10/10.

The Wharfedale 12" Super 12 RS/DD Speakers are mounted in a wooden cabinet as described in one of G.A. Briggs Loudspeaker books. All photos are of my own original units but I have not yet taken a pic of the enclosures, might do that sometime but it is very similar to the Goodmans 212 described elsewhere.

Verdict:
This combo is a keeper and will not be added to the C-A-D pile.  :thumbs:

-F_D

:ROFLMAO: Why do I get the feeling you are going to have lots of 'C-A-D' items  ;D

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 09:03:46 PM »
House the lot in a seperate building for display purposes.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline jadedgem

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
You know your Sansui bits will find good resting place in two forum member's homes in Bloem.  :winkwink:

Offline King_Julian_S

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »
Dibs
Dibs
Dibs

:dance:
Biggs ? Wow
Pls send pics.
You know those JELABS OB's have taken a lot from the Biggs SFB design..

Maybe You can find it in your very nice heart to help my mono and vintage OB project with some of the stuff you will want to keep but think of it being used and appreciated everyday for hours on end ... 😄😄
Non audiophile music lover...

Offline Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+50)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 09:47:51 PM »
Sigh.. I feel your anguish.
I find it very hard to get rid of kit, even more so if it is special or a collectible item. If there's sentimental value - forget it.... but life moves on and there are times when getting rid of things serves a spiritual experience. One of cleansing and rejuvenation, the experience of giving and sharing with someone you know will cherish your generosity....
like KJ for example...
or a cat down south  :EGrin:

Online Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 09:55:17 PM »
This is going to take a while. I am enjoying the very clean sound that Leaks are favoured for, had to spray the RCA jack that the tuner plugs into with some contact cleaner as the sound came & went every few minutes but it's as solid as a rock now.

:ROFLMAO: Why do I get the feeling you are going to have lots of 'C-A-D' items  ;D

Er, no, I don't think so - the C-A-D thingies are the "For disposal" items ;)

House the lot in a seperate building for display purposes.

Every room in my house suffers this problem, as well as my garages and store room   :point:

Here is a crappy cell-phone snap of the Wharfie cabinet (popular shape in the 60s ;) )

The two amps on top:

Pioneer SX-737 and Sansui G-2000SS

The Pioneer was bought sight unseen from a place in PE. It was an American unit that only had a 110V AC mains input, it did not take kindly to the full 240V AC or whatever voltage PE uses. I bought it for R250 on the off-chance I might get it to work and indeed I did, even finding a 0 - 110 - 240V transformer for it in the USA of all places! It did sterling service with those same Wharfedales until all the pilot lights popped. I imported some from Germany oust, miniature ES types that were marked 8v but they popped again. Our friend Ingvar has promised to send me some 8v bulbs from Norway, I assume they are in the great big parcel pile-up at the SA Post Office somewhere.

I still need to take  pic, but here is the general idea:

The top amp is a very good-looking Sansui G-2000SS, works perfectly and was connected to the Wharfies when I disconnected the Pioneer. All bulbs etc in the Sansui are perfect and it is a very nice piece of gear, yet somehow the audio quality to me seems very un-Sansui, almost muddy. I have never opened it so maybe it could do with some TLC. I need to clean up the cheesy boomy bass a bit.

Verdict:

The Pioneer is a keeper, but it needs new 8v MES globes and a touch of contact cleaner on the tuning cap.

The Sansui - possibly a keeper because of its sexy looks, but the audio quality  needs to be sorted. Not a very pleasant audio experience.

EDIT: The Sansui plays VERY well with another pair of Wharfedale Modus Speakers - audio quality is a match made in Heaven!

-F_D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:38:19 PM by Family_Dog »

-Eric

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
Even if you just keep those pics flowing pls sire 😄 :notworthy:

Online Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »
Think of the fun we could have had had you and Brian (jadedgem) lived closer to me. I had visions of shelving all over the place with my vintage sets all wired up and playing - probably all at the same time too!  ;)

All my tuners are tuned to just one station:

The image above is of a Denon AVR-3805, also in storage somewhere. Going to go look for it now because to be honest, I dunno where it is. Brilliant amp with a crappy remote and sadly no HDMI inputs. Hardly vintage though - or is it?

EDIT: The Denon AVR3805 is a great piece of equipment and is currently driving a pair of Paradigm Studio 60 floorstanders. Excellent audio quality!

-F_D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 07:53:14 PM by Family_Dog »

-Eric

Offline King_Julian_S

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2014, 12:06:54 AM »
Is this teasing month for distant members 😃😃.
Yes , I have already imagined .. Way back when you posted those leak and what firs already...

Nah.. Digital displays can't be vintage .. Or can it ?
Maybe just because it's so beautiful ...
I take a lot of valve stuff as vintage ...just see it as NOS..lol

Offline ftcl

• AVForums Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2014, 06:00:53 AM »
If that Sansui was a G22000 or G33000, I'd be pulling out all the stops trying to convince you to sell...

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
I have a Stereo 30 doing duty on my desk. Nice sounding unit. I have another in the classifieds but no one wanted it, even cheap.

Neither have a headphone jack on the front, is yours standard? If not, did you fiddle with the funny speaker connectors too?
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Online Family_Dog

• Administrator
    • Repcom 2-way Radios
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 10:57:19 AM »
Heh... I was thinking of the one you were selling. I was supposed to be coming down to Durbs today for a week but that has fallen through and I would most likely have bought it from you. Those speaker connectors are something else, I am missing one of the minute little screws that hold the speaker cable in, was going to be you for yours but I forced a 6BA screw in its place and it works well enough.

Weird about the headphone connector, I suppose the previous owner may have had that installed. I had never given it a second thought, imagined they all had this.

I have never even opened this amp, it simply played from day one when I got it some years ago, and has been playing ever since.

Now what I do need is a stereo decoder for the tuner. Mahleu, please dig amongst your collection, you seem to have lots of useful goodies! :)

-F_D

-Eric

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2014, 12:03:49 PM »
I have 3mm to 4mm banana adapters for the speakers, not ideal but they work.

I have a Leak Troughline 3 sitting in the PO in Pta. Not sure i'll ever see it  :(
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.