Poll

Hammer vs Jet

2 month old Hammer A331 @ R5k more
1 (100%)
New Jet JPT 260
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Woodworking machinery  (Read 17035 times)

Offline Gerhard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
Woodworking machinery
« on: July 16, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
I am looking at buying proper woodworking machinery.

I would be looking to get:
  • Table saw
  • Jointer (maybe with integrated thicknesser)
  • Miter saw
  • Dust extractor

I want good quality machinery at reasonable prices. I was thinking of the JET JTS-600 http://www.strandhardware.co.za/strandNew/index.php?pid=gallery&scode=WMJTS60/A and other JET equipment. I want something better than DIY class, but it doesn't have to be heavy industrial either. Something in the enthusiast DIY / light industrial category would do.

Where in the JHB area is a reputable place to buy machinery such as this and get advice I can trust? Hardware Centre? http://www.woodworkmachines.co.za/? http://www.gfpmachines.com/? I have never been to any of these so I have no idea what is going on there, just found them with Google.

I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Offline willieopperman

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Woodworking machinery
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:16 AM »
They are not cheap, but you can also try CMC Machines.

http://cmcmachinery.co.za/online/

Alternatively try Gumtree. 
Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters.

Offline JimGore

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:31 PM »
I have kitted myself out with mostly Jet stuff for the big machines.  Love the brand - good quality and rugged.  Will last you a lifetime if you look after them.

Purchased mine from Hardware Centre in Randburg.

Cheers,
Ian.

Offline Gerhard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 01:01:06 PM »
Thanks guys.

@Ian

If you don't mind, can you tell me which Jet models you got?

Offline oradba69

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Lerange
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:15:36 PM »
I have kitted myself out with mostly Jet stuff for the big machines.  Love the brand - good quality and rugged.  Will last you a lifetime if you look after them.

Purchased mine from Hardware Centre in Randburg.

Cheers,
Ian.
Ditto, Have Jet tablesaw and planer/thicknesser. Next is their new bandsaw.
Handtools 90% Festool.
Manufacturer of Audio Video furniture.
Importer and distributor of Trichord.
http://www.lerange.co.za

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »
I avoided going to this thread as I am green with envy. Enjoy!
It's only hifi people....

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »
No problems.

I have this dust extractor (DC-1300):

and this Thicknesser / Planer (JPT-260M):

and this oscillating drum sander (2244 OSC):

and this band saw (JWBS18Q):

I would like to get myself a table saw from Jet, but for the meantime I am using a reasonably good one by Bosch.  When I do decide to upgrade it will most likely be to something like this one (JTS-600):

As for hand tools, definitely Festool.  Best tools you can buy as far as I am concerned.

You are welcome to pop around and take a look at the machines if you are so inclined.  They do (mostly) have them on the floor inside the shop in Randburg tho.

Cheers,
Ian.

Offline Gerhard

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 09:54:27 PM »
Thanks for the info Ian.

Those are pretty much the items I am looking at also. I am definitely also looking at getting a mitre saw - JET JMS10S perhaps.

I will be popping in to the store in a week or two.

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 10:03:56 PM »
I purchased a new mitre saw about a year ago to replace the Makita I used to have. I can highly recommend the Bosch GCM12SD glide compound mitre. Excellent machine with possibly the best slide / glide mechanism on the market.

Take a look here:

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=GCM12SD

They also sell it at Hardware Centre. Spent far too much money there the past 10 years ...

Ian.

Offline Henry

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
For Planer/Thicknesser I would prefer the Hammer.  But it might be a bit expensive.  I have a CMC Table Saw myself.

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »
What you guys use for finishing? I have a Makita variable speed sander that uses the 125mm velcro pads, mind blowing at how much time it saves and flawless finish, also has a good built in dust extraction/bag. Also have the similar but bigger Dewalt 150mm sander, chows through work like butter. The same sanders without speed control are useless though, no finesse.
 Has anyone tried one of these type of sanders with a Velcro backed polishing mop(from the auto refinish suppliers) to polish, not quite the right motion needed to really polish properly but it would be handy for a few small jobs if they could?
Music is in the Mind

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
For heavy sanding, I use a Festool Rotex RO 150 FEQ random orbital sander:

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/sanders/ROTEX-ro-150-feq-multi-mode-sander-571810

and for finish sanding I use a Festool RS 2 E orbital finish sander:

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/sanders/rs-2-e-orbital-finish-sander-567696

As for the polishing - you generally want something with a larger stroke for effective polishing.  You want the polish mop to move over the surface, not just sit and vibrate around.  The Festool Rotex has a switch on top which engages some kind of gearing system.  This allows either small stroke for light / finish sanding, or a large stroke for coarse sanding.  The coarse sanding mode is pretty much perfect for polishing.

Ian.

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:04 PM »
You can get sandpaper for the Rotex 150 starting at 24 grit, going all the way up into the thousands.  Great multi purpose machine.

If I was only allowed to have one sanding machine, then the Rotex would be my first choice.

Ian.

Offline Skylark

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+8)
Woodworking machinery
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 10:12:10 PM »
Festools are king of the hill! Makita et al not far behind but not quite the same level of machine balance and ergonomics.

Is the main advantage of the Rs 2 E it's nice big area flat face, to properly and uniformly flatten/maintain flatness of a surface? I have a similar Makita sander and I never use it, much prefer the ease and control of the machines with Velcro pads, so easy to switch grit and they seem to work better with less vibration and they have speed control which allows a gentle touch if needed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:15:06 PM by Skylark »
Music is in the Mind

Offline JimGore

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 11:05:48 PM »
You have the just of it.

While I love the Rotex, it doesn't guarantee a flat surface even with the 150mm diameter base. The RS 2 E is much better at that kind of thing. It's also Velcro btw. One great thing about the Festool sanders is that they don't vibrate into your hands so much so your hands and arms don't get that horrible pins and needles feeling even after long sessions.

Ian.