Bowers&Wilkins C5 in-ear headphones (& iDevice controller)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d0dja

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
A colleague at work is offloading his B&W C5 in-ears to me - he paid R1500, I'm getting them for a third of that (come payday :) ).

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/C5/overview.html

Pros:
------
Fit: I've been hunting and hunting for headphones that work for running/gym. I have slightly strange ear canals, they have a bend that means normal earbuds either keep falling out, or won't seal properly, or I have to use aftermarket memory foam tips that jam in to seal (and even so I have to keep re-seating them). I've tried the ones with a clip that goes behind the ear, etc, none work.

The C5's have a clever design where the cable is stiffened and curves back into the body to make a loop that pushes into the inside fold of the ear, holding them in place. Compact, elegant, really works. The buds' tips now push against the outside of the canal to seal, they don't push _into_ the canal. They seal very well (bye-bye much ambient noise, hello bass response), and don't come out if you're jumping around. Quite keen to see if they work well with a motorbike helmet on - I've never found earphones that stay in place/sealed when getting the helmet over the ears.

Finish: They're really nicely made, good materials etc.

Cons:
-------
Sound quality is excellent, but flawed. AFAIK these are the first in-ears from B&W, and it's done some interesting things to give them a more open, expressive feel (supposed "micro filter" on the backs, although the effect seems pretty minimal). There is a bit of a hole in mid-bass, and too much low bass.  Certainly makes a difference from the doof-doof-doof over-bassed normal buds, and the bass it fairly well controlled, but they do feel a bit lacking in "meat".

The highs are also fairly glassy and fragile. I'm hoping with some use they might mellow out a little, but if your source is even a little sibilant or grainy, it gets harsh.

Both probs can be solved with a bit of EQ, but not ideal.

The 2.5mm jack is also a bit stupid - very smooth glossy plastic that can be hard to grip to extract from a tight socket.

It has a select/vol up/down control on the cable for iPod/iPad/iPhone - doesn't work with Android phones, different system.

C5-GLOSS-BLACK-ON.jpg

Latest posts