8" 2-way satelite

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recently bought a set of 8" Fane drivers from a friend and on looking them up was quite interested by the potential these had for a nice compact speaker for use as a small stage monitor or for use as a Satelite speaker.

Herewith some preliminary measurements of this little driver on an Open Baffle (warts 'n all, so lots of diffraction artefacts edit: literally, the drivers were cantilevered against the edge of a table at time of measurement). Especially the midrange profile seems to make this a great candidate for a 2-way crossover at somewhere below 2 kHz with a semi-elliptical filters. I have the little 18-Sound HD120 to pair here as the horn gives a fair indication of what's possible (for home use it doesn't sound good crossed anywhere low due to a sharp transition to the baffle)  I am looking into other options (I'll use a RCF H110 copy most likely for the first try though I'd love to machine a proper waveguide into a hardwood baffle to follow up on this)

These measurements weren't taken at calibrated levels, but they were taken quite loud with the tweeter well above 100dB  (swept sines like that aren't comfortable). There seems to be a fair bit of development in smaller diaphragm compression drivers of late and I am still looking at suitable options. For now I have an event in 2 weekends time and will use what I have in an active crossover setup.

Response of the naked driver

Distortion plots (just to get an idea of where one might look at crossing and whether there are any real nasties)

This is a very cost-effective option with the little Fane Sovereign 8-225 available for a song at musical supply stores. This would make a brilliant satellite for very fair money.

Latest posts