Advice needed on refurbished Sennheiser HD595 or new Grado SR125i's / SR225's

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilgrimToHyperion

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent headset to use with my phone and at home with my PC. I mostly listen to alternative rock but love classical music as well. I've read up quite a lot this morning on what's available in the range I'm looking at spending R1,500 - R2,000.

From what I've read, the Grado's sound like excellent choices. I've spoken to Roy at High End Audio per mail and he suggested the 125's. From the majority of reviews I've read, it seems that people seem to think their sound is "harsh". Now I know absolutely zilch about a good pair of cans, so I don't really know how to take that. The 225's constantly get good reviews so I'm leaning towards those. Unfortunately it seems that getting a pair is going to be a bit more difficult. Roy has the 125's in stock though and he's willing to sell me one at a very decent price.

While Googling I found a classified for a refurbed Sennheiser HD595 which I can go view this afternoon. The following was refurbished : "right driver and driver capsule replaced". I can get this as well as a Xonar DG for R1,250. The guy is selling them to raise cash for something else. Now this really seems like a decent price to me seeing that new ones retail for R2,500+.

Please advise on which route you think I should follow and what I should look for when viewing the cans this afternoon? Would I be able to use the Sennheiser with an iPod or phone (I'm under the impression that the Grado's are fine without amplification)?

PS: I don't have a DAC or AMP for the cans and will use them with my phone 90% of the time. If I buy the Sennheiser though I get the Xonar DG as well. I know its cheap, but at least it offers headphone amplification.

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts