Generator v Inverter

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

AVForums Member
Reaction score
With all this powershedding going on (today I only had 3.5 hours of work done) most folks are contemplating buying generators for a back-up.  Noisy stuff and reminds me of the old "plaas" scenario.  And I hate dieself fumes!!

Anyhow, last week I received an email and this guy discussed inverters as a solution for backup electricity - never knew something like that existed.  And apparently an inverter is a common "thing" amongst the 4x4 folk who really does do outdoor living.

For the uninformed (like me), it converts 12v to 240v and depending on how many watts you require, you can run most of your household goodies for two hours from the inverter (linked to 2x deep-cycle batteries).

So for the office I require a 500w inverter and one deep cycle battery and will be able to run my switchboard, internet and 2 pc's for two hours.  Total once-off cost of about R1500 and I can do my work, productively when Eish-kom lets me down.

For those who would like info, mail me at [email protected] and I'll forward you copies of said email.

Latest posts