Voice of Music Model 950 Changer

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am busy with restoring an HMV 1950 model console (gram radio). Its cabinet is almost finished after much sanding down of the solid oak it's made from. The radio/amp is working nicely and the last hiccup is with the changer deck.

I have spent the evening cleaning and re-lubricating its very elegantly designed Voice of Music changer but there's a problem with the synchronous motor.

The motor has been re-lubricated with some Elna sewing machine oil, the rotor wasn't seized and spins completely free and the stator has a very strong magnetic field if power is applied.

I swopped the + and neutral ac leads but still no go.

The power transfer wheels to the idler has also been freed and lubricated but still no go.

Everything has been assembled correctly and the only problem I can think of could be the fibre thrust washers which looks in poor condition and could possibly have a slight 'braking' effect on the free spinning of the rotor.

I will make some Zellamid or nylon washers later today just in case, unless the problem could be elsewhere.

I had exactly the same problem with the same type of motor from one of two B&O 1900's I am also still working on. The latter's motors were seized in their bushes (unlike the Voice of Music's motor) and I got one of the 1900's to work but just find it odd that this type of motor is so difficult to get running where everything mechanically seems OK.

mafioso

Latest posts