Natural Sounding Voices-Part II (A wild and wonderful theoretical ride!!!)

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joffieb

AVForums Member
Reaction score
A short while ago I started a thread on the subject of getting voices/performances to sound as if they are “in the room” and how to set up your system to do so if at all possible. So many reviewers say they hear the performer in their actual room but my experience at listening to really high end gear has never produced that.
(Natural Sounding Voices )

This led me to think this through a lot and I have come up with the following theoretical supposition and proposed method for speaker set up:

(Disclaimer: If it’s been said and suggested a million times before, I do not recall ever seeing/hearing of it)

My latest thought experiment on this matter:

1. Music is produced for our enjoyment/entertainment/to get a message across;
2. In so doing, it is altered/manipulated by auto tune, reverb, compression, studio room correction actual and digital, mixing etc...in other words simply put, Photoshopped to look its best long before we get to hear/see it;
3. Therefore, its leaves the producer as a final product as they want us to see it;
4. We will never hear the natural voice in the room as that is not how it left the studio/pressing plant/uploading PC;
5. Just like a good makeover or aesthetically (not-overdone) Photoshopped image, it is more pleasing than the raw image;
6. Some singers/models require more post production work than others;
7. Supermodels and beautiful actresses still look beautiful unmade up (except Katy Perry), just not as good;
8. To enjoy the produced image as intended, we need the print as accurate to the submitted file as possible and our eyes as focused as possible, that is the job of the HiFi;
9. The soundstage produced (for stereo, not surround sound), does not turn your room into the original recording location but rather gives you a really large window to look into the original location and performance, that window being located at the plane of the speakers like at the hugest aquarium tank window in a world class aquarium.

How then to ensure your HiFi is properly focused and you're getting the full picture accurately?

My thoughts:

1. (Crash helmet on, Shield up!)- Measurements!

2. Do it in a quasi-Harbeth way (PATENT PENDING-You Heard It Here First Folks!!!);
i) have someone or a few people perform live unplugged sounds, as varied in tone and pitch as possible in an anechoic chamber, (recite a verse of poetry; toot a tone on a sax; hum a repeatable very low bass note or even MAYBE set up a decent portable audio source like a B&W Zeppelin or another decent stereo system and play a range of sound from it or even recorded music because we’re not looking for accuracy of interpretation of the original from the Zeppelin/HiFi, just a reference point created in the chamber;
ii) Accurately record the sounds in the chamber (not sure what or the cost of the equipment required);
iii) Then bring the "performers" or Zeppelin into your room and place them at the soundstage plane and A/B the live sound performer/Zeppelin vs the anechoic recording through your system and move your speakers and do room correction until they match;
iv) If you succeed, you have removed any coloration of the signal by your system!

Anyone have the equipment, time, interest to give it a bash?

Last edited:

Latest posts