Subwoofer Hum

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faba1979

Reaction score
Good day members,

I recently installed a subwoofer as part of my home stereo setup.

The system consists of:
- Marantz PM6005
- Q Acoustics Concept 20
- Various sources
- B&W ASW610

My listening area has always been a nightmare in reproducing bass (not so much the Concept 20's fault, it performed okay in different unpractical locations).

Having researched and performed the subwoofer placement position I am absolutely stunned by the performance. I could not be happier!

However, having to use the high level (speaker level) line inputs on the sub through the B speaker outputs on the Marantz I now have an annoying hum when no signal is passed through - i.e. when the amp is turned off. I suspect the hum is at 60Hz frequency.

I fear this also prevents the sub's "auto on/off" function from functioning. It just keeps humming until I switch the sub off completely.

I did some research to try and solve this problem but I am non the wiser. An REL youtube video suggest disconnecting the ground speaker wires from the amp and either shielding them (insolation tape) or grounding them on the amp. I could not corroborate this option and don't want to destroy my system....

Would this work?

Are there any other options available to solve the problem, being stuck using the high level inputs?

Thanks

Latest posts