Denon AVR frustrations - "your TV does not support HDCP 2.2"

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willi

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hello guys

Two years ago I bought a Denon X2400h on a Black Friday special, and have regretted getting this POS since day 1. Literally the only reason I upgraded from my Yamaha was because of 4k - I wanted to be ready when I got a 4k source.

Two days ago, I got a Playstation 5 (yay!). The problem is that I have to plug it directly to the television to work, as when I try it via the AVR, I get a "This content cannot be displayed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2". Obviously bullshit, as it works fine when plugged in directly. The other buggerup is that the audio return from the Samsung TV supports only stereo back, so you lose the entire surround sound experience.

I've soured the internet to find a solution, which seems to only affect Denon AVRs. The only workable solution someone has found was an HDMI splitter, but this really defeats the convenience of having an AVR, plus my television has only a single 4k input. Plus, I cannot see how adding something in line will improve the audio or video, rather it would make it worse.

I'm also loathe to spend money on this splitter to solve a problem which isn't my making.

I have reached out to Digital Experience in Fourways who I bought it from for help, Trevor said the rep is on holiday and he has to wait for him to call back for help.

So my question is, does anyone have a fix for this, or do I get rid of Denon and go back to using Yamaha, which has in 15 years never presented me with anything near this technical challenge.

Regards, W.

Latest posts