Who is the best / easiest to use / most economical courier company in SA?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leonsound

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a fascination with Couriers, because the business & logistics can be so complicated (if you want to be better than average). 
And it is one of the few physical businesses that keep growing in these modern times
But now I actually need a good one that is easy to deal with.

E.g.

DSV Locker. 
I like this solution, I have 2 close to me at Engen garages.  You buy a pre-paid box of correct size at the Engen shop, put your stuff in the box & fill in the waybill. 
Then you scan this waybill at the "Locker" - an automated machine that opens up a door for you to drop your parcel in safely. Once a day they pick up and from there it follows normal courier path.
I like it because:
- I can drop something off in the evening or Sunday afternoon
- Prepaid is very reasonable (and includes the box)
- Because it is a flat rate, very cheap for outlying places.
Problems I have:
- Recently they never have the correct box in stock for my immediate need (and I don't buy ahead now because I don't send much out at the moment)
- I cannot get through to any of the help desk portals to discuss some option - it seems they are dead at office

The other place I have an account with is a small courier, last time I used them you still had to phone/email for a quote, then fill in a waybill (I had them here), then notify them to pick up.
sounds a bit old school.

My ideal Courier at the moment:
- get quote & type up the waybills online, including info about e.g. pickup times etc
- print the waybills, which contain a QR code, and stick onto package once ready
- either mark the package as ready online, or use their app to scan the QR code to tell them it is ready for pickup
-  When driver picks up, he scans with his phone app, I hear the beeps and my online also gets updated.  No triplicate waybills with a signed copy for me.

Another feature that a would like, is this:  (I had this arrangement with the Old School courier, and it served me well):
- a form of drop shipping.    They store a few of my products in the corner of their warehouse.    If I'm away on vacation (or even just to save on pickup time etc), I can sell an item which I know is in the "store", and email my courier with instructions to "take Box #456 and send it to  xxxx".  I could even have customers send their own courier to this location while I was at work, if they thought their own courier would be cheaper
- I know there are big companies doing that sort of thing now, but they are geared towards big commerce (E.g. takelot or bidorbuy) and charge to much storage to make it worthwhile for low turnover items

So, what are the options out there and how do they work?
Thanks

Latest posts