Warped LPs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tachyon

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
149 million km from the sun (Joburg, specifically)
In my ongoing addiction to vinyl I've been ordering a lot of stuff from overseas. Pricing is usually pretty good, with the average disc coming in at around R170.

But thanks the deprecations of the postal system, a reasonable portion of them arrive warped. Not unplayably so, but I hate to see the tonearm bobbing like a piece of flotsam on the ocean.

I've read that there are some fairly crude methods for fixing this oneself, usually involving 2 sheets of glass and a sunny day. Has anyone tried this with any success? Or should I save up for a flattening machine (might take a couple years  :p)

One of the more entertaining solutions found online:
1. Set the record on a soft towel on the centerline of a two-lane road in rural New Mexico.
2. Put a little heap of birdseed on it and stick a little sign that says "free birdseed" into the pile.
3. The roadrunner will eat all the seed, the coyote will run out after him and a huge boulder will flatten the coyote on top of the record. The coyote's hide will keep the record from getting scratched by the boulder.
4. Peel off the coyote and play the record.

Latest posts