Volume Control between Pre and Power Amp

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regatel

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I want to add an extra volume control between my pre and power amp to fix a problem with relative volume between two rooms.  I have two power amps linked up to the same pre, one for the living room with a set of Floor standers and one driving a pair of outdoor speakers outside.  If you set the volume to the ideal volume for the outside it is just too loud in the living room.  Lately I just switched of the power amp inside but intrigued to get this working.  Have played around with different amp combinations and just can't get it right.

Saw a few options online for passive volume controllers, even some with XLR connections which I'm using for the amp in the living room ranging from USD60 to USD500.  Chinese Brand, Behringer Studio Gear, SPL or Goldpoint.  Any thoughts on a good brand to try or other suggestions?

Want to test this before I buy something and thought of putting and old integrated amp between the Pre and Power amp and hook up to the Aux input and Pre Amp output on the integrated just to test this before I order a volume controller.  Got an old Rotel integrated that can switch off both speaker outputs which should give me volume controller to test this with and little else in the way.  Anything I should consider before I damage the equipment?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Latest posts