TV Broadcast Masts

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve

AVForums Member
Reaction score
A colleague has just moved into an apartment in Barbeque Downs, Kyalami. There is a common satellite dish for the entire block of flats - but it's only for DSTV, not Openview. There's also no antenna for analogue TV services (SABC and eTV). This means that she can't watch any kind of TV. It's unlikely that she'll get permission to install a dish on the building to point at the Openview satellite so I've suggested that she buys a bunny-ear or grid antenna and place the antenna on a tripod on her balcony pointing at the nearest mast.

But, a problem: I'm not certain that there are any masts that she can see from her balcony. The only Sentech mast sites in Joburg are in Brixton and Carletonville and the Pretoria mast is on the Magaliesburg range northeast of Hartbeespoortdam. Carletonville is certainly not within line-of-sight and neither is Pretoria. Joburg may just be visible.

There's also a mast on the ridge above Little Falls/Ruimsig but that does not seem to be a TV broadcast mast - at least I can't establish from Sentech's website whether this is a TV mast. It'd probably be the best option for my colleague by far.

What to do?

Latest posts