Tonearm, 10" monopivot

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinyljan

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I got a Denon DL-103 cartridge some time ago and since it was not ideally suited for my SME tonearm I wanted to make something that will hopefully work better.  I used a (too small) lathe and drillpress, rest basically by hand.  Got some red ivory wood, but it is very hard and discolour/burn to a black colour quite easily when being drilled/sanded.  Initially wanted to keep the aluminium and copper just polished, but it tends to tarnish quickly so I decided to rather spray paint it.

Still some final measurements and finishes (ie proper anti-scate weight) to be done.  Although I did some calculations to get the resonant frequency at 11Hz, I'll rather recheck with a test LP.

The idea is a pin pointing upwards, supporting the arm via a small porcelain block attached to it.  The more I tried to get the centre of the counterweight-balancing point-stylus tip in a horizontal line, the more difficult it became to balance the arm, regardless the mass of the copper ring weight near the bottom....

Few pictures:

Cartridge alignment:

Anti-scate:

Finally :groovy: