System cooling

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwatts

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tried to find the earlier thread about it but gave up. Anyways, I wanted a little more airflow in my equipment rack. Not that anything gets overly hot as it is, but hotter than necessary and that reduces lifespan especially of switching amps and power supplies. Fan noise is a big nono though.

The Airplate stuff are nice but dedicated to one part only and on the expensive side.

After lots of reading up, and not wanting just a loose-standing fan, I got this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009COQYA0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

There are several variants of different sizes, fan quantities and control intelligence, but this one was fine for my application. A hole is going to be sawed in the side of my rack that will blow in cool air through the side vents of the amp with the most heat. At the lowest setting, which is good enough for a sizeable temperature drop already, the noise is nearly inaudible. The high speed may be a problem in some lounges but IMO if you need that speed in an open rack you have bigger problems.

For full-sized, enclosed racks, putting one at the bottom left and the other at the top right and with the bottom set to blowing in and the top on sucking out, it will give a tremendous results with a sleek look and very low noise. Highly recommended.