Subs frequency response and dbs

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frag

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I have spent some time looking into subs and trying to decide which would be best, considering my needs. I read that it is best to buy a sub made by brands that only deal in subs, like velodyne. I initially wanted the velodyne impact range, but then i read that it is better to get the best sub one can, so i sought the next model up. Soon after that i was delving deeper into the rabbit that is frequency response.

The eq- max range seemed reasonable to me, given that it includes eq. I had a look at the 12" and 15". The audioholics review didn't rate the sub very well and data-bass was worse. I then searched for any mention of the eq range and positive responses from consumers. avsforum had a lot of threads regarding the models i had in mind.

One thing i noticed was that all the subs( ma w12, klipsch 115sw, 112sw, b&w 608/610/610xp, velodyne sealed subs) i had taken note of, due to price bracket and specs, weren't worth it from avsforum member's point of view. The threads with subs mentioned had someone recommending something else. Unfortunately we do not have the brands they often recommended, such as svs, hsu and many i'm forgetting. After some time I wanted something like transducers, for the sub 20hz. Unfortunately they weren't available locally.

avsforum.com just reviewed the new klipsch r-115sw and there was mention that the -3db at 18hz holds true. There is some skeptism a few posts down already. Are the subs we are able to buy locally, within the <R20000 bracket, really that bad :nfi:

What is left for those of us that neither have the expertise nor the tools for the diy route?  I also lack experience in importing and I'm not willing to take the risk, given how many thing are likely to go wrong.

Latest posts