Steward-Warner restoration

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Des Miles

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
This was a garage find (In the rafters) many years ago. A 1936 Steward-Warner ferrodyne table valve radio. As can be seen, the cabinet was in poor state and this has put me off restoring it all these years. Truth be told, cabinet restoration and just plain woodworking has never been my forte. Finally decided to have a go at restoring this one. I planned to see if I could get the cabinet looking respectable first, before I would actually restore the chassis.

I wanted to do a sympathetic restoration of the cabinet and did not want to just strip off all the original finish and varnish it again. In my mind it would not then, look like an 80+ year old radio with all it's history. I wanted to preserve as much of the cabinet's original patina as possible. I was able to disassembled the entire cabinet without any damage and then wiped off each section using a lint free cloth and acetone. This had to be done quickly and once only so as not to remove to much of the original finish.
Finally I applied water based mahogany varnish stain, evenly, once again using a cloth patch. Reassembled the cabinet once I was happy with the finish.

The restoration of the chassis was then completed, no major problems, just the normal re-capping and resistor replacement.

As can be seen cabinet was in pretty bad shape:

DSCN0188.jpg

DSCN0195.jpg

DSCN0197.jpg

The cabinet in pieces!

DSCN0204.jpg

DSCN0191.jpg

What the chassis and dial look like.

DSCN0214.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

DSCN0223.jpg

DSCN0220.jpg

The chassis being re-capped:

DSCN0225.jpg

The set completed and chassis installed:

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0233.jpg

DSCN0234.jpg

DSCN0235.jpg

On test on the work bench:

DSCN0229.jpg

And finally in it's new position in the lounge. Overall don't think it came out to badly!

DSCN0236.jpg