Stanton 680 HP

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinyl Vince

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So the stylus on my Ortofon concorde Pro  decided to give up the ghost a while back and i haven?t really had the time nor energy to replace it. Last night I re-discovered an old vinyl pile hidden in the garage and had an immediate urge to get them on the platter, gave the old busted Ortofon one last try hoping it would of miraculously have repaired itself over the past couple of months but my wishful think was short lived.  In a lightbulb moment i realised that a turntable i had recently purchased came complete. Unpacked it, Technics headshell with a cartridge boldly displaying 680HP, and Stanton on the stylus. I immediately had images of powerful v8 engines delivering 680 horse power, not a performance cartridge and stylus combo.

Blown away is an understatement when i attached this combo! The volume and clarity is absolutely brilliant at least to these untrained ears. Beats my Ortofons hands down for volume and clarity (i tested it against a working Orton not the busted one) 

Im considering buying another set for the other turntable rather than another stylus for the Ortofon.  (Technics SL 1200 MK2 dj setup)

I understand that this is not high end quality  / brand compared to the audiophile brands available and maybe i should take a listen to the high end items before raving about the 680 HP, but what i have heard so far i absolutely love. 

They however don?t look as cool as the concordes which admitingly is what attracted me to the concordes initially and has made me brand blind for at least ten years.       

Am I an un-informed newbie that really hasn?t heard quality or is this Cartridge actually really good?

Latest posts