Speaker repair advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moog

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
The foam surrounds of my little and beloved  Heybrook HB1 speakers have suffered from rotting  and will need to be replaced or i may need to replace the 8 inch drivers altogether.  Although replacing the foam surrounds is a cheaper option than to change the drivers, i am concerned that  the foam surrounds that available may not exactly match the foam originally used and  if the speaker assembly is not accurately aligned centrally such that the voice coil is perfectly located in the magnet gap,  any deviation will result in increased distortion and possibly buzzing as the voice coil rubs against the edges of the magnet gap.

Can someone recommend a speaker repairer in  Johannesburg or Pretoria who can replace the foam surrounds properly. The original drivers are the Vifa brand and i am not sure whether they are still made. My other thought is to replace the drivers completeley with a ScanSpeak driver of the same spec, but i am not sure about the cost.

The 8 inch driver has the following specs:

Technical Data:

Frame diameter:    215mm
Sensitivity (2.83v/1m):  90dB
Nominal impedance:  8 ohm
Frequency range:  25Hz-3kHz
Free air resonance:  25Hz
DC resistance (Re):  5.6 ohm
Voice coil inductance (Le):  0.9mH
Effective piston area (Sd):  231.0cm?
Moving Mass (Md):  16.5g
Force factor (BL):  5.2Tm