Soundproofing priority advice

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiven

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope there are some clued up forum members who are willing to impart their knowledge. I've read many sources, and other posts here, but would like a bit more in terms of which problem areas will have the biggest impact in my specific quest. I plan to do it in stages as budget allos, and will look at room treatment last, but initially I'd like to be a pleasant neighbour, and not disturb the peace.

I've just bought a townhouse, after many showdays to find something that suits my AV needs (I was not going to consider free standing at all, or ground floor at all after numerous break in's in the past), and was lucky to find on one with a decent size bedroom to convert.

I'll try to give the best description as I can, since I don't have photos as I am still waiting for transfer etc, so have not moved in yet, but want a plan of action for when I do, hence the question for advise in advance.

The apartment is a top floor duplex, so there is no one above, and the room is a corner room, so no adjacent neighbours sharing a wall. The lower level has the kitchen, open plan living space, and 2 bedrooms. A staircase from the living area leads to a loft style pajama lounge, which in turn leads to the bedroom in question. The other bedrooms are below this, so again to minimise sound travel to neighbours, this would be the best one to "convert". 

This room is about 4m  x 5.5m. One end of the 5.5m long side leads into a small bathroom with only a shower and toilet, fitted with a sliding door. The other end leads to a balcony, but his time with a glass sliding door. Entrance to the room is on one side close to the bathroom. The ceiling is covered with normal ceiling boards, and the roof is normal tiled a-frame roof. There are no windows, aside from the sliding door. One wall then is double brick as it is on the end of the block, and the other side is single brick, which has the pajama lounge and double volume loft area adjacent to it. This door to the room, like the sliding door to the bathroom, are normal hollow core doors.

Now, this is where I think the priority should be, and I hope you can help me. the weakest points to me seem to be the sliding glass door to the balcony, and the ceiling. I have the bathroom on one end and the loft area on the other side helping the insulation, as well as the space below being mine. The double brick wall would then be the next weakest point. I forgot to mention the floors are all concrete, not wooden.

What, in your opinion is then the best way to soundproof the glass sliding door, and the hollow core sliding door to the bathroom? The ceilings i can install aerolite, and even install a second suspended ceiling (at a later stage). Keep in mind this is sectional, so I cannot do anything to the exterior, or the glass sliding door, aside from perhaps installing double glazing.....but that wont help low frequency much.

I don't want crazy volumes, but just enough to make music come alive, give you goosebumps, and that you can feel.

I thank you all in advance for replies. I don't know how transfer will take, but I will post exact measurements, as well as photos once I have access.