Security alarm battery causing activation during loadshedding - please help!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadfan

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm at my wits end, please help!

I installed a new LiFePO4 12V 7 AH battery to the security alarm 4 wks ago after the previously fitted Lead acid and then Gel type, also appeared to be insufficient. Now it appears that this new battery does not even hold charge for 2hrs - this was after having 6 - 8hrs to charge since the last loadshedding incident stopped this morning.

The 'technician' from the security alarm / armed response company came to test the system and indicates that the panel puts out sufficient voltage to charge the battery, but says the charge time is not enough. The meter he used to measure showed a reading of 12,9 / 13 .

[the security alarm system we're using is old/ outdated/ primitive and only has a few passive IR motion sensors inside, 2 door contacts and 2 single IR beams -8 zones in total - can't believe that this configuration can draw so much power from the battery]

Now tech says I need to have a 'smart charger' installed that boosts charging of the battery between loads shedding sessions - so more money to be spent! Is this really the only option ?

Needless to say this thing is driving us crazy with alarm going off at night/ early morning hrs every time the power comes back on ! Besides the inconvenience also the safety risk of our family comes into play.

Please advise/ help if you have experience with rectifying this headache!

thanks in advance.

PS. I can also be contacted on WA 072 3152625

Latest posts