S A Customs being a pain in the bum

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisc

AVForums Grandmaster
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered some components from China, unfortunately could only be sent via China Post.  This was in October.  Was able to track it right to Cape Mail as arriving there on 3rd December .  Phoned them several times, the parcel has not arrived they said

Shipper had instructions to write my Customs Code on the shipping invoice.  As is usual this is inserted into a transparent pocket on the carton.  I also got a copy via email

Eventually went round on 28th January.  After waiting around for 4 hours, I am told the parcel is in the States Warehouse.  Reason - No documentation.  Got a release form to inspect the carton.  Th shipping invoice is in the plastic pocket, but I am not allowed to take it out.  They undertake to return it to SA Mail Customs in Epping.  This takes 4 weeks and I get a notice on 4th March

Now the parcel is on the counter and I again ask the SA Customs clerk (very large black lady who very amply fills her grey pants) why it was sent to the States Warehouse when the shipping invoice is in the pocket in front of us

Her reply - "the plastic bag does not INSIDE INVOICE".  The DHL clerk next to me starts laughing, he has never heard such crap he says.  So in addition to the R35 clearance fee, I must pay R404 for States Warehouse fees and redocumentation.  I refuse.  She says it will then go back to the SWH and be auctioned.  I ask her to call her supervisor

This tired-looking white guy comes and she explains that the documentation was inadequate.  He asks where the invoice on the counter comes from.  In here she says, pointing to the pocket on the box.  He then asks why, if the invoice was supplied, is quite obviously correct, was it sent to the SWH.  "I did not do it" she says.  He looks at the SWH notice and asks, "who is AJZ".  "It is me" she states.

He banged his fist on the desk and tells her she has been lying in front of all these people (at least 20 in the office) and has made a fool of the department.

Another agent standing in the queue, pipes up with "incompetency reigns".  The lady could not care less.  I asked her if this was her first day on the job, but was ignored

I did not have to pay the R404 fees