Rocket Stove/Mass Heater for those really chilly mornings

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strainger

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Having measured -13Celsius here last winter, and my poor wife getting up at 5am each morning, I have been looking for cheap, but efficient ways to heat up a room or two during winter. With Eskom as reliable as... well, Eskom, it had to be something not powered by electricity. Enter the rocket stove, and, for really heating bigger spaces, the rocket mass heater.

I cannot find the source, but I read that a proper rocket stove burns wood at around 85% efficiency and easily reach 800++ degrees, while a 'normal' wood stove burns at somewhere in the 25% region. Correct me if you can find proper data. Also, a rocket stove is relatively cheap to build, and quick to start up and get to temperature. Below is a pic of the little guy I (and with 'I' I mean the omie that happens to be a master welder) plan to build for my computer room: (that surface will be WAY to hot to brew my coffee, so will have to make some plan there)

epZ3UJp.jpg

Here is a link to the build on Youtube:
Small Rocket Stove

Does anyone have experience with these things? Any advice, stuff I need to consider?

Latest posts