Problem with Cirrus Logic CS4353 DAC chip?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is spring so the time has come for me to move my Pure i20 from our cosy AV room to our living & stoep area where we spend most of our time in the summer having dinner outside, etc. Whereas I had the Pure i20 connected with coax digital to my AVR in the AV room, I now have to rely on its internal Cirrus Logic CS4353 chip to convert to analogue as I only have an old fashioned analogue amp in the living area. I have a problem though. The audio is constantly fading from slightly muffled to clear from left to right and back again. Extremely annoying! This is happening with both lossy and lossless formats. I changed the RCA cables, I swopped inputs on the amp and I have basically done everything that I can think of in order to resolve it. In fact, by using what I perceive to be better RCA cables it sounds even worst, even more audible. The only thing that I can pinpoint is a potential problem with the DAC chip. I experienced this kind of problem before, which was when I used a cheaper docking station and had to rely on the iTouch' own DAC. Surely the Cirrus Logic should not be prone to the same kind of problem. Any advice please? I was not expecting this but I am now starting to consider investing in a stand-alone DAC...