problem : advice on ATN3711 stylus purchased

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marantz123

AVForums Super Veteran
Staff member
Reaction score
Fellows

Today I purchased a stylus for an Audio Technica AT3711 cartridge from a local supplier in Pretoria. Its a generic (apparently OEM replacement is not available),  and went to the place with cartridge in hand and the gentleman test-fitted the stylus to make sure it fits. All went well, however I forgot to take my magnifying loupe with me as I usually inspect carefully when purchasing replacement styli...I told him that I forgot to bring it along.

This evening, I inspected the stylus and can see that the cantilever is not fully perpendicular, probably about 5 degrees off-centre, and can also confirm this by the position of the two magnets, as the "V" that they form with the horizontal plane is clearly off centre. I also considered that the diamond is correct, but seems it is aligned with the problem, and the entire cantilever needs to be rotated 5 degrees to fix this, which im not prepared to fiddle with.

I have not used the stylus, didnt even fit the cartridge onto the headshell, and dont intend to unless this isnt a problem, which I doubt. All I did was inspect it with a loupe. Everything else  is perfect, just 5 degrees visually off-centre.  Azimuth is possibly going to be a problem. ( I purchased 3 other stylii for different cartridges and they all seem fine upon inspection with the loupe.)

Million dollar question, ..can I expect the supplier to exchange the stylus for another one that is correctly aligned ?

I can go back there tomorrow morning, im just not sure how to approach this as returning a stylus is not something sellers welcome.

Any advice please.

Thank You
Marantz123.