STYLUS RAKE ANGLE CONFUSION

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIVESOUND

AVForums Member
Reaction score
I watched a video a day or two ago by a gentleman from Ortofon on how to set up a high-end cartridge. Everything was familiar to me except one, which related to the stylus rake angle (SRA). He said that it was very important to ensure the correct SRA for a microline stylus and suggested an angle of 92 degrees from the platter. This angle I am aware of, except that the angle was set to the rear cut face of the diamond and not the centre line through the stylus itself (see the picture). This resulted in the stylus being set well forward ? at about 115 degrees. I have never come across this before, so would appreciate some comments. I am about to receive a cartridge that has been re-tipped with a microline stylus and would like to optimize the setup. My ears will also guide me, but would like to start off in the right direction.

In all my 60 years of audio, I have not ever come across this method of setting up SRA.