Positive Effects Of Negating Room Resonances

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlleyCat

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have had some horrible rattlings going on recently in my room and I tried to source it. I tried all the usual stuff like crawling on my knees around the room, removing anything that would give any hint of being excited by excessive bass nodes, but still did not win. My room hasn't changed much as far as equipment goes, the only recent addition is a new customised built stand, and this was moved even further out of the way and now stands slightly behind and to the right of the right hand speaker. The stand clearly affected the sound in the past.

I then decided some on some other changes among other smaller ones, namely moving my speakers 70 mm forward(they are now 1650mm into the room), my two B&W PV1's slightly forward of the N802's plane, reset the volume even lower on third subwoofer, and this is the result as measured by my Velodyne SMS1 :

15 Hz  20Hz    25Hz    32Hz    40Hz    50Hz    63Hz    80Hz    100Hz

-          0.5      0          1        0.5      -4.5      -0.5      0            0

And I had two serious excessive nodes at  80Hz and 100Hz by a good few db, that I tamed. Now to concentrate on the 50 Hz dip? My other old departed engineering friend, John Fuller use to tell me that anything between ?6db is still acceptable, within ?3db is considered very good, is this still wise wisdom ?

The effects of removing excessive bass nodes and room resonances are palpable and real - it really impacts negatively on all areas & frequencies of reproduced sound.

Enjoying my system again with renewed vigor.