PHILIPS 545 MFB-STUDIO speakers OR PHILIPS 544 speakers

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonsa

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all, i seriously doubt i'll get any response from this, but who knows... ;)

I've got 2 sets of vintage speakers that have been in the family since just before i was born, im 27yrs old now.

The one is a set of studio monitors, namely PHILIPS MFB(motional feedback) 545, these are fully active speakers(self amplified), they are 3 way.
12" woofer, 1" tweeter, and 2" dome midrange/squawker, each box has 3 seperate amplifiers. The speakers also have automatic protection cutout
all the years they were connected to some old philips 551 preamp.

these days im running them on a NAD 302(in pre-amp mode), a NAD 5420 source as cd player, i tossed the 10metres of 5point din signal cables
and made up a 3metre pair of XLR to RCA cables...

and they are sounding great...

apparently only 1000 pairs of these speakers were ever made... and they now sell on the secondhand market for upto EUR 2000.00 (R24000)...

does anyone else in south africa have a set of these? just curious...

my late father was a auditor and years ago, before i was born...his firm did auditing work for a shop in cape town called SILVERSTONES, they went bankrupt
and owed my dads firm money... so they settled by donating the speakers (2 sets) and the preamps that went with..philips 551.

the 2nd set of speakers are the little brothers of the 545's. they are the PHILIPS MFB 544, also 3way, 8" woofer, 1" tweeter, and 2inch midrange/squawker..
also self amplifier etc.. also with cutout.. also with the motional feedback technology..

the built in amps consist of exclusively some transistors, philips BC Series, some caps, some relays, some resistors.. thats it...

i've actually registered with a forum in holland (www.mfbfreaks.com) where ive obtained all the service manuals, i've even sourced 2nd hand some replacement parts
i need, namely matching midranges and tweeters for the mfb 545 (someone did a unmatched repair somewhere far back)

just curious, does anyone here in south africa (other than me) have philips mfb speakers? im trying to establish a bit of history and to see if the set i have was perhaps a one off import or such..

regards
Anton

Latest posts