Old Magneplanar,HK amp,Thorens TT setup find.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gifs

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all

I recently discovered my grandpa's old stereo setup which my grandma is looking to get rid of as s he is moving. I would like your opinions on the setup and whether it is worth keeping, restoring or selling (already got an offer from a hifi shop).

The setup is as follows:
Magneplanar SMGa speakers (one was recently restored, the other isn't in too good a condition)
Harman Kardon PM655 Stereo integrated amp.
Harman Kardon CD91C Single Tape deck
Marantz CD42 CD player
Thorens TD316 turntable.

I am not sure if everything is working properly as I didn't have all the required cabling to connect everything, but it seems in good nic, and as far as I remember it was still working when last used a couple years back.

A quick search showed that the magneplanars are quite good and the amp isn's too bad either. But I read in a thread on this forum that the speakers requires very good amplification to tun properly. Is this amp sufficient to properly run these speakers or would it benefit from better amplification.

I will connect everything up when I visit my grandma again and I am thinking of taking it off her hands if I like it, or maybe even sell it for her if I can some decent money for it. I don't have great hopes for the tape deck, but maybe there still is a market for it? The CD player also seems reasonably good and of turntables I know nothing, but I do know that vinyl is making a comeback and that there is a good market for turntables. Your opinions would be appreciated.