Now this i like!! Honesty!!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/onkyo-rz-series-a-v-receivers

An Important Note About Inflated Power Ratings

We don't like the recent trend in power ratings we've been seeing by some of the manufacturers since Dolby Atmos has been introduced.  Before Atmos, most receiver companies would at least give you a 2CH, full bandwidth power rating at a distortion level below clipping (usually 0.1% or less).  Now they all seem to be playing the numbers games in hopes the uninitiated consumer won't notice.  These latest Onkyo receivers are a prime example and as a result we are calling them out on it.

Onkyo Power

Onkyo Power Rating of TX-RZ3100 Per their Website

WOW this receiver puts out 200 watts/ch All Channels Driven?  NOT!  Look more closely.  This is one channel driven at 6 ohms and at 0.9% (very close to clipping and very high in residual harmonic distortion).

Let's use a little Ohm's Law to figure this out.  If P = V*I and I = V/R then V = sqrt(PR) =>  Therefore 200 watts at 6 ohms translates to 34.6Vrms and driving an 8 ohm load (which is how most amplifiers are rated), this gives you P = V^2/R = 150 watts.  Now let's not forget this is at near clipping.  So in reality, this amp is good for a clean 140 wpc and that's for 1CH driven.  We will give Onkyo the benefit of a doubt that their power supply is large enough to drive at least two channels at this power level.  But surely you can now you can see this 200 wpc receiver is really 140 wpc more honestly rated.  Let's keep it honest guys and stop the BS power ratings please!

Well done guys !