New turntable - lots of hum?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krepunk

Reaction score
So my new VPI Classic 1 arrived yesterday already set up by Roy with a Grado Statement Platinum and today I was able to put everything together and plug it in.  :Whoohoo:
Roy recommended the Anti-cable interconnect as I don't have any existing interconnect cable so basically everything on the top of my stand is new connected to my old PM17 and RS6's.
After I plugged everything in and turned on my amp I get a really bad hum. I have my amp set to MC which I believe is correct in the case of the Grado Statement MI cart and it is properly earthed as far as I can see.
I used to have an Origin Live which also had a Grado cartridge (not a Statement though) and that gave me no hum, the Rega Planar 2 that I used as an interim table also had no hum. But Roy set up the tonearm and turntable before sending it so I assume he plugged it in and heard no hum in his system so could it just be a bad combination between my amp and the VPI/Grado/Anticable?

Since I live in Jhb I can't just pop in and ask Roy to have a look so I feel a bit stuck at the moment. What could be causing the hum?

*Edit* So I just checked and the hum is only coming from the one channel... not sure what that could mean...