Nakamichi 680ZX tape deck revitalisation

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s class

AVForums Member
Reaction score
A couple of months back I bought the 680ZX that trd4lfe offered on this forum.

The 680ZX was the top of the line consumer Nak (below the pro 700ZXL and 1000ZXL) at the time, and it predates the Dragon.  As one would expect for a top end Nak, it is a 3 header, dual capstan with pressure pad lifter.  The deck also has auto azimuth adjustment of the record head (that's what ZX in the model name indicates)

The 680ZX is Dolby B only (the 682ZX that replaced it had C as well).  This is not an issue for me as I almost never use any NR.
Also true to the Nak tradition, it has manual tape type selection, manual equalisation selection and manual record sensitivity adjustment.  No user-trimmable bias though, that's an under-the-hood calibration.

I am planning a cosmetic, electrical and mechanical refurb. 

To get started, one needs some cal references.  I have just bought the following tapes new-old-stock (new is very important for calibration and reference cassettes).  The best test tapes available are TEAC, Nakamichi and ABEX.  ABEX are the only ones really available as N-O-S, buying used test tapes is risky.  Nak tapes, when available, are crazy expensive. 

DSCN9162.JPG

DSCN9658.JPG

DSCN9858.JPG

DSC00520.JPG

Latest posts