NAD 533 (Rega Planar 2 OEM) with classic vinyls. I need help please!

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irengineer

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Visiting my folks with my kids this week, and my father gifted me his NAD 533 turntable with Rega RB250 arm and Goldring Electra Cartridge. The unit has been standing connected, but unused, for the last 8 years or so. Fired it up on his HiFi (Onkyo Integra Stereo Amp with Tannoy 10" dual concentric T225 Cambridge speakers) and it sounds a little "thin". I suspect the table setup (tracking weight and cartridge alignment) is incorrect. I see the unit has to be manually set to 45 rpm, so have not tested that yet. I know have to get this unit from Jeffreysbay to Centurion, so will drive it back myself. Any packing/packaging hints or tips as I have never transported a TT over such a long distance before. The unit has no box, so I have to make a plan myself.

Dad also gave me around 80 vinyls, so I know have a working TT to use while my Lenco build progresses. The LP's are a very varied mix, some really old stuff, but very nice classics (that I love). The LP's are very dirty, any hints for washing/cleaning them? My Dad used some sort of brush with a soft fabric, but this generated a huge amount of static electricity and it attracted lots of dust particles. Now trying to wipe down the LP just seems to move the dirt around, clinging viciously to the LP as a result of the static electricity. How do I fix this and clean these records? If someone can suggest a nice thread for me to read I'd greatly appreciate that.

Do I have to clean the stylus on the Goldring cartridge? If so, how do I do that? Also, I do have an Audio Technica AT95e available for use, would that be "better" than the Goldring?

The turntable platter seems very cheap and has loads of run out. I'd say that the machined platter of my Lenco is far superior to the one on the NAD. The platter seems to be made from MDF? I see guys like Groovetracer sells a replacement acrylic platter, would changing the old MDF platter be a good idea? I suspect that being a Rega OEM unit on a Goldring plinth (also cheap and nasty, maybe do a conversion to slate?) that modern Rega platters will fit?

Latest posts