MacMini with an iPad as the Primary Display

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Willemse

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Here's one for the Apple techies...

I use an Apple iMac in my house as a file server, streamed through to multiple AppleTV units - All good.

In my stereo room, I use a separate Mac Mini strictly as a source for to my DAC, running Aurora for my flac collection, and iTunes sharing the iMac library. The downside of this is having an unsightly monitor for the purpose of viewing whatever it is you are doing on the Mac Mini.

I have a couple of iPads around, and so began investigating the possibility of using an iPad as a primary screen for the Mini. Some mixed opinions, but did come across some folk who have using either one of the apps Airdisplay 3 (which can work over USB and Wi-Fi) or Duet Display (WiFi only).

Now, both of the apps are designed to use an iPad as a secondary display, but apparently can be fooled by using a "HDMI headless adaptor", which basically is an HDMI plug with an internal configuration that tricks the Mini into thinking that there is a primary monitor connected, and allowing for the iPad to do its job as a mirrored secondary.

Has anyone here ever played around with this? For my needs, it would be great to have a neat setup with only an iPad permanently docked in as the monitor, instead of an unnecessarily large monitor on the top shelf instead.

Keen to hear your thoughts...