LJM L20D build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredeb

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was speaking to my friend , when he told me about the 2 repairs his amp went in for in a short time span . I then suggested that I build a poweramp section for him , and he build it into a chassis . I had a LJM kit that was lying in a drawer , I bought it because I was so impressed by the previous set I had built . A coupla caps , some resistors , a rectifier and one of the Chingy transformers . Took me about 2 and 1/2 days to put this together . I'm running the set under-volted which makes it run supercool , and also helps give it the ability to handle low loads . These units sound really awesome , I think I tried my 1st set about 8-10 years ago , my "hifi" amp at the time was a Rotel RA985 which I thought was a pretty cool amp , back then . Those modules I supplied with 2x 900W SMPS's that I bought on a ridiculous factory buy-out special from Parts Express , that supplied +-53VDC . These modules made that Rotel sound like an out of commission school bus , driving a set of 700 series B&W's that I had back then , the weird gray ones with 3 coloured stripes painted on them .

Here's some pics of the build :

LJM-L20-D-01.jpg

LJM-L20-D-02.jpg

LJM-L20-D-03.jpg

LJM-L20-D-04.jpg

LJM-L20-D-07.jpg

LJM-L20-D-08.jpg

LJM-L20-D-09.jpg

He also wanted a phonostage so I put together another Geco MM stage which got powered by a smaller torroidal that I took out of a Thorens TD125 that I tuned up recently . The phonostage will get it's own box .

https://i.ibb.co/sqKbTpz/IMG-20200705-WA0002.jpg