Internal data transfer rate

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shonver

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Could someone please help me understand what appears to be a bottleneck in data transfer rate related to one of my hard drives:

Last night I copied media files over from my old 1TB hard drive to one of the new 2TB hard drives installed in the HP microserver. The 1TB HD is NTFS formatted into two partitions (roughly equal size). The 2TB is also NTFS. OS is Windows 7 Utimate 64 bit. The 1TB HD was already formatted; the 2 x 2TB HDs were formatted on the (new) microserver.

The transfer rate achieved was 25MB/sec. I had opened 2 folders: one to copy each partition onto the same driver. Both windows that popped up showed the transfer rate as 25MB/sec. One finished 9 minutes head of the other, but there was no reported increase in throughput in the remaining window.

This morning I tested the transfer rate between the two new 2TB HDs. This time it kicked off at 50MB/sec, quickly increased to 70's and then into the 80's, and increasing slowly; I did not have much time this morning, but it was about 86MB/sec when I stopped it.

How do I optimise data transfer rate? I want to install the 1TB HD into an external enclosure, but wish to also maximise data transfer rate.

Latest posts