I'm Thor , but not thatithfied...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodney_gold

R.I.P. 5 June 2018
Reaction score
Hiya , bought a set of SEAS/D'appolito Thor TL speakers from my adopted son (ken Kasslerrib)

http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=382:thor-seas-diy-kits&catid=66:seas-diy-kits&Itemid=365

Stuck em up with  a squeezebox touch as front end , running into a Rotel RB1572 amp (250w/chan)
and the sound is "ok" , bass lightfor their size , quite  big upper mid/lower treble hump and not so as much treble sparkle as I like

I then used one of my SVS subs to high pass the speakers at 63 hz and the sub does duty under - a big improvement but the forward mid still there.
I really bought these speakers to muck around with.

So here are my options:

1) Equalise the FR in the digital domain to tame the forwardness - I have a Z-sys RDP-1 so ca do this easily.

2) Buy a $105 MiniDSP 2x4 and convert them to actives bypssing their X/over ,do my own crossovers , levels , delays and parametric eq and biamp them - needs another amp

3) Chop the towers down , make the enclosures ported and end up with Odins
http://www.seas.no/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=383:eek:din-mk3-seas-diy-kits&catid=66:seas-diy-kits&Itemid=365
Needs a little CnC fabrication for back panel with port and base..easy for me to do as I have large CnC routers,

4) Use the drivers in my meridian speakers , the treble and mids in the Thor are upgrades to the OEM drivers and the meridian DSP will deal with any anomolies . easy to do as the drivers are a drop in and mostly the same electrical characteristics as the OEM drivers

5) I have 2 seas 8" magnesium Excel drivers and another set of the same , but the nextel coated paper drivers

I could either do a single woofer 3 way or a 2 woofer 3 way... would use a minidsp for X/over etc and triamp them , would require a new cabinet build and 6 chans amplification

Thoughts?

Latest posts