Help. Hissing sound from amp on left channel.Rotel RA 1070

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rotel RA 1070 Amp. Logitech Squeezebox hooked up via LAN cable from PC ... and also tried WiFi streaming from PC.

This amp has been my baby and doing great all these years. It has been plugged into a voltage stabiliser thingy since I got it.
This stabiliser monitors Eskom and only lets the current through when it's happy with the power from the wall plug.

The amp is always on ... with the volume turned all the way down when I'm not listening. It's only off when Eskom is off.

Today ..... I turned the volume knob to it's usual position at 11 o'clock for a music session.
Hiss from the left channel appeared from the 9 o'clock position and got louder as I turned the volume knob.

I switched off the Rotel and changed the speaker wires to the chip amp. Sound from the chip amp to the B&W 330s was all good.

I moved the Squeezebox input from the AUX 1 input on the Rotel to AUX 2. Hiss was still present.
LM Radio from the OVHD decoder on the other AUX IN was also distorted on the left channel.

Selected "Tuner" and "CD" on amp and no hiss.

Hope this is not the end for me ??? Can someone point me in the right direction, please.