HE Tqwt Marine Plywood Build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kemosabe

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
So I went to collect 2 sheets of Marine Ply 18mm 2440x1220 from BoardMaster in Robertsham yesterday.
I thought unlike my previous builds I would start a build thread up front and fill in the pics and details. As the project goes. I find it too much effort at the end!

Episode 0: collecting the plywood
There was never supposed to be a prequel to this story but sh!t happens  :cr@p:
I found a source a Marine ply close to work (20 min drive from the office) and duly headed off at about 1 or 1 thirty to go and collect it. I expected to be out the office 90 mins but it the experience was a farce mixed in with a hint of tradgedy and it took my entire afternoon.

This trip taught me first hand some of the reasons the SA economy is so unproductive and why some of our people live on the breadline.

Here is the gist of it:
1. Boardmaster dont cut boards, but KT trading next door does. Now I must tell you BM is HUGE. They clearly supply merchants direct and have at least 5 large delivery trucks (in their loading bay at that time) and their warehouse is MASSIVE.
2. It took me precisely 5 minutes to order my boards and pay .... So far so good....here's holding thumbs
3. Handed my purchase order to a grumpy man in his 50s called Worsie...mistake number 1. He said he was going to bring my wood next door now now and I should go wait next door...
4. 45 minutes of waiting in a noisy industrial wood cutting shop and my wood hasnt arrived...grrr
5. Keith the owner of KT goes to remind them. Apparently they are still loading a truck its coming now now...
6. About 15 mins later worsie pulls a truck into kt loaded with melamine kitchen counters and all sorts of other shite except marine plywood (2 of)...no apparently they keep the Marine Plywood at another store down the street and he will return in 15 mins with my wood. (still being very patient)
7. 30 mins later I walk back to Boardmaster (which is 20 to 30 meters from KT) to enquire. I pass on my way down the alley 10 or 12 okes looking extremely spare, just loafing, eating apples and looking for diamonds up their nostrils. I ask the foreman there about my order and tell him Worsie has gone to fetch it from the other store. He says thats bullshit because the Marine ply is on the second floor just above where he's standing!  :headbanger:
8. But he cant help me because Worsie has my order slip...    :walled:
9. So I am fuming and go back to the counter where I placed my order and speak to the plain gum chewing cashier lady with the vacant look in her eyes and begin explaining the economic implications of my taking 3 hours to buy 2 pieces of board. I explained it to her at 105dB for emphasis and to ensure that the sawdust I spent the last hour and a half inhaling was well and truly expelled.
I definitely had some impact since a big cheese from one of the offices behind the bulletproof glass stopped reading the newspaper and sprang to intervene (i suspect he may be doing her)
10. One minute of verbal arse kicking over a walkie talkie followed
11. 8 minutes later 2 pieces of marine ply appear at the table saw in kt's
12. 4 minutes (and R40) later the wood is cut into small enough boards to fit into an A3 and off I go
13. Now I get stuck in the 4pm afternoon traffic on the way back to work