HDMI Failure

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimbaLand

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been through 2 AVRs and 3 processors with HDMI and never had any issue except last year where all my HDMIs failed due  to lightning strike. Last week I started getting a snowy screen when I switched on to use the Nvidia Shield which I just took it that its a handshake issue but it kept on getting worse until when despite all switching on and off I could not get any signal. The first culprit that came to mind was failure of my Nvidid Shield's HDMI so I decided to ship it back to Amazon because they had said I could do that after the LAN port failed during the early days of lockdown. On Monday i sent the Nvidia Shield back.

Yesterday I was lucky to get a brand new replacement Nvidia Shield and when I got home I connected it and the problem persisted which told me that the problem was not the Shield's HDMI port. My next suspect was my cheap HDMI cables that I bought from HIFI Corporation so off to the shops I went to buy good HDMI cables but that too could not fix the problem. I tried my HTPC which has HDMI and that too had no signal but to my surprise my PS4 had no issues at all.

I brought a TV in and connected it directly to the processor and boom there was no issues at all. My projector and processor are connected via a CAT6 HDMI converter so I took down the projector to connect it directly to the processor and again there was no issue. I connected the TV to the Cat6 HDMI converter and there was no picture and I think it is after all this troubleshooting that I could nail the problem to the decode of the HDMI Cat6 converter. [member=14101]scrarfussi[/member]  had a spare HDMI Cat6 converter lying around and i went to fetch it from him. I got home and replaced my HDMI Cat6 converter and boooooom everything was working.

I am just happy that after the near heart attack from thinking that the HDMI board in my processor has failed I was able to get to the problem. I am also impressed by how a corporate guy like me has become so technical savvy over the years through this hobby that I could spend so much time troubleshooting and finally got to the real problem and solved it. My last words to [member=14101]scrarfussi[/member] after sorting this out were what will happen when we die and something small like this happen to the system? I doubt that those left behind will ever be able to have the problem fixed :ROFLMAO: